• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any single sided 512mb dimms out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

Well, from my experience, a serious factor that limits our memory OC is the fact that most 512 dimms today are double sided, and this brings a loss in OC shown if you compare 1T and 2T OC modes...
with 2T you always get more OC but the performance loss is too much to be worth it....but if the dimms were single sided you wuld get that much OC with 1T! and without the severe performance loss!

Thats the reason 256 dimms are so better in OC than 512 ones...
Well, up to today I guess they couldnt make single sided 512 dimms....but as I see 1Gb dimms hitting the market, I assume they would be 512mb in each side....so 512 dimms should be able to be produced today...

So do you know of any single sided 512mb dimms out there?

BTW is my logic correct or am I not thinking of something important and all this is rubbish?

Well it has been discussed before when the Micron based Buffalo Tech, KVR and others were being played with. To the best of my knowledge at that time and it hold true today, the only single-sided 512 sticks that I am aware of are the Crucial PC3200 that you can buy direct or at newegg. Their product code ends in ".8T" which differentiates them from the double-sided version which ends in ".16T". As for overclocking, I don't think they were actually tried on A64 rigs, but were on an XP system with high OC capabilities. It really didn't do well in that case, but that wasn't a very fair test...just one rig and only one platform.

hm, are those PC3200 the crucial Ballistix everyone is talking about? If so, why noone else is interested in it? I think single-sided dimms is the route to go for overclockers...

I mean, we keep seeing threads like "which is the most stable OC, how much....what timmings etc..." and with some 1sided dimms the whole situations would be so much better that it seems to me much more important than if you can get 5 more MHz from X RAM...Its like a 20-30 MHz boost if we can find single sided dimms...who cares if X ram will go 5-10 more...

No, they are not the same, but similar. The Ballistix uses the G revision of their chip, but they have been tweaked for Ballistix and the 512MB are double sided. The "8T" crucial uses the un "tweaked" chip. The OCZ EB series used these Micron chips also.

Back