• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where's DiskScan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

In Windows XP Pro...apparently there is no Diskscan under Start>Programs>accessories>system tools.....can someone tell me where to find it or where to download it from? and also...when u shutdown unnormally it doesnt boot disk scan either....if anyone could help me out thad be awsome....thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when you convert to NTFS, windows won't auto scan it when you shutdown. Scandisk is still there. Go to My computer, right click on the drive -> properties -> tools -> check now. Then reboot.

Yes i did mean scandisk..and Nitro...yeah ur right thats where it is. thanks a bunch guys that was real helpful.

XP doesn't have a program called "Scandisk", as this was a Win9x/Me program. Instead, because XP is descended from the WinNT/2K OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk" (which AFAIK goes back as far as DOS 5.0...possibly even earlier.)

Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | At the prompt, type...Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and available options.

Alternatively (as NiTrO bOiE suggested), double-click My Computer | Right click the desired HDD | Properties | Tools | Error-checking-->Check Now...this will run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

Back