• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat spreaders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seldom...you are usually better off with mounting a fan blowing over the memory. In my opinion, overheating ram is usually not an issue unless you are running 3.0v or more through your RAM (or you are using Micron IC based ram, like the OCZ EB series).

It seems like many of the guys with the EBs and with the Buffalo Tech Micron based ram have reported HOT STICKS (not just warm) and many were suggesting additional fans. I have seen a post by Tony over at PCPerspective suggesting fans, so I would say, yes, it would be a good idea in order to remove overheating from the equation when you are overclocking your rig.

Heatspreaders were designed originally for RDRAM RAMBUS modules which needed them.

RDRAM works by using different chips on the module every so often i.e. First the comp uses chips 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. Then after 10 secnds or so it switches to chips 2, 4, 6, 8 etc and then back again etc.

This is necessary because RDRAM runs so hot, that active (fan) cooling is actually needed if they all run at once.

A heatspreader is designed to do exactly what the name suggests - Spread heat. When the first chips (1,3,5,7) are in use, their heat is spread to other chips (2,4,6,8) that are cooler because they are not in use.

When the first chips turn off, they cool down, which allows the heat to be transferred from the second set of chips which are now in use. This way, the heat is spread backwards and forwards, allowing the module to be kept cool without a fan.

It wont work for DDR, cos all the chips run at the same time, so the heat cant be spread from one chip to another.

Sorry for all the info just thought i would explain a bit more

i installed a super talent ddr cooler on my 4x256 mushkin bh5 and added a zalman fan bracket with antec super cool 120m. i'm not real sure how much good it has done but the super talent ddr cooler is a neat little item and i'm sure the 120m fan that sits over the ddr and n.b. chipset is bound to help some.

does upping the voltage on your ram help?

in many types of ram it does for overclocking.... TCCD is one exception as it doesn't really do any good unless you're trying to maintain really tight timings.

Back