• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opening My Documents, Control Panel, etc crashes desktop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warren G

Opening My Documents, Control Panel, etc crashes explorer...

Hey guys,

I have a problem. Everytime I open up My Documents, Recycler, My Computer, Control Panel, etc... explorer crashes. I checked for virus with NOD32, Spybot, and Panda Online scanner for like 3 times and made sure theres no spyware or virus/trojan. It still crashes everytime I try to access those items. It works in safe mode though, no crashes. I tried selective startup also, uncheck all startup programs, still has the problem. I checked all my startup programs and everything is normal, nothing suspicious/unusual. Anyone think of anything else?

Computer is a Dell 8100
Win XP Home SP2
P4 2GHZ
256 Rdram

Try running Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

Back