• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 256 or 1x512?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickmckay

Disabled
My setup:

3.2e
p4c800 e deluxe

I want to EVENTUALLY upgrade to 1 gb of ram...

So do I get 2x256 and run dual channel right off the bat, or do i get 1 stick of 512?

(btw, I will be using adata pc4200)

Well, it depends how far off your gig of RAM is. If it's a month or two, go with the 1 x 512 MB and just buy another stick when the funds come. If it's going to be a year, I would probably go with the 2 x 256. You could always sell them here on the forums when you're done. Right now it seems it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a socket 478 system anyway...

Absolute Zero said:
Right now it seems it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a socket 478 system anyway...

Why is that? AFAIK, 775 has no advantage over 478..

But future video cards, high ddr2 speeds, FSB 1066, along with the overall faster but not yet supported PCI Express will make it a superior platform, even though it's merely even now.

if i get 256 now, then add 512 later, i can still set it to run the 2x256's in DC right?

Back