• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! How do I change max FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xSeongminx

Registered
Hey, I have an ECS PT880CE-A. I know it sucks but I'm building a budget machine (another one..) and am wanting to know how to change the max fsb? I say this because when I go into bios, the fsb maxes out at 165 (maybe this is due to my PC2700 memory?). However, I thought that you could still excede the 165 and possibly overclock the memory also.

Another question that I have is, in your guys' opinion, which is the better board? ECS 848P-A or the PT880CE-A? Thanks and LMK.

I thought that you could still excede the 165 and possibly overclock the memory also.
Only if the MB supports it, I doubt that your MB has that option in the bios, there is nothing you can do about it, the mobo comapany just did not provide it. These mobos are mainly for the masses so they skip on such things....not necessary for Joe Rabbit out there...

xSeongminx said:
Hey, I have an ECS PT880CE-A. I know it sucks but I'm building a budget machine (another one..) and am wanting to know how to change the max fsb? I say this because when I go into bios, the fsb maxes out at 165 (maybe this is due to my PC2700 memory?). However, I thought that you could still excede the 165 and possibly overclock the memory also.

Another question that I have is, in your guys' opinion, which is the better board? ECS 848P-A or the PT880CE-A? Thanks and LMK.

IS there a jumper for different FSB ranges on that board?
I have a pcchips M952 pt800 board (Pcchips=ECS), there are 2 sets of jumpers for setting different FSB ranges.

Regardless of the OC options, I think 848p would be better.
For no reason, my M952 performs very bad. I think that's the problem with the VIA base chipset on P4 system.
No other chipset vender would understand P4 CPU better than Intel, I think.

I'm dumb... I just noticed that there was no PCI/AGP lock so I threw in the 848P-A. I purchased 2 new sticks of Kingston PC2700 (which are Hynix D43 :drool: ) and I installed everything. Now came the hard part. I went into Bios, locked the PCI/AGP at a constant 33/66 and raised the fsb to 155. It boot into windows and did a few benchmarks perfectly. Bumped it up to 160... Crap. Nothing. So I was using the computer at 2.79 gigs until I dled CPUZ and noticed that the dividers were set to 4:5. The ram was at 20x FSB while the CPU was only at 155 (more or less). Hmm, went into bios and there was no option for a divider but something that I did notice was that the ram was at auto... I changed it to PC2100 (133) and went back into windows. CPUZ REPORTED 1:1 DIVIDERS!! WOOHOO. Went into Bios, changed the FSB to 180 and went right into windows. 190, booted fine. 200, nothing... so I dropped it to 195 and man, I'm running stable. 100% CPU usage (burn in software) and it was running like a dream.. I'll be trying to get to 200 soon and I'll probably be the first to get a 1.2 gig o/c on my celeron D using an ECS mobo... BTW, the ram cost me 42$ each with a 20$ rebate. Just thought I'd share my story.

Back