• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup software doesn't see my SATA Drives, HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EagleClaw

I have been a long time user of Acronis True Image. I got a new computer last week and right away I formated and put XP Pro SP1 on. Then as I usually do I installed Acronis and made a backup from within XP.
All went fine, then I botted with the rescue CD I made and it doesn't see my hard drives, more specifically it will lock up when it searches for them.

I have contacted Acronis Tech and they haven't replied yet.

I also tried every version of 8.0 builds I have and none work.

I have searched other forums and no one has an answer, some builds do work with some RAID controlers but that is it.

My controler is "Serial ATA by Promise 20378" setup in "non" RAID. Motherboard is a Asus AV8 Deluxe.

What other backup software is out there that works like acronis and will let me use a bootable CD (or diskett) and is able to see my controler?

thanks

Perhaps Acronis can't work with the A8V's Promise controller because of driver issues. I use VIA's SATA on my A8V. Promise has poor linux support, so it wouldn't suprise me if certain programs can't utilize it in Windows. The VIA RAID controller just has better support.

Absolute Zero said:
Perhaps Acronis can't work with the A8V's Promise controller because of driver issues. I use VIA's SATA on my A8V. Promise has poor linux support, so it wouldn't suprise me if certain programs can't utilize it in Windows. The VIA RAID controller just has better support.

Would it be as simple as plugging my drives into the VIA plugs and turning it on in the bios?

I am not running a RAID setup just "2" SATA drives.

thanks

No, if you're going to change something as fundamental as a RAID controller, it would be a good idea to re-install. Writing two different drivers on top of each other is usually not a good idea. It's like installing a new CPU and mainboard without re-formatting. You could try, because Windows has excellent driver support, but I would not be suprised if it didn't work. If it's worth that much to you, you could try a different program, such as deep freeze or Norton's Ghost that may support the Promise controllers.

Back