• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d Rendering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

I have a project to do in E101 that explains the principles of flight. I want to render an airplane in 3d and have moveable control surfaces. How can I design this and get it to work? What program would be good for this?

Well, you could use, Maya, Lightwave 3d, thers also a free one but its ALOT harder its called Pov-Ray. Maya and lightwave cost as much as a cheap new car so i dont think that would be a go unless the university is paying for it lol.

i'm going to try pov-ray, i thought simple autocad would work, but it doesn't.

Just a warning, POV-Ray is all code. You give the coordinates and dimensions of shapes, and it renders them. Obviously its more complicated than that, but you get the idea. Though, for a free program, it can give some dazzling results.

I don't think I can manage to do what I want in two weeks. Is there anything else that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Can I use Autocad 2002 (free here at State)?

I've done 3D rendering in AutoCAD before, I don't see why you cannot create a model airplane, etc. with it. The moveable control surfaces or whatever I am not too sure about, I'll ask one of my teachers if it is possible.

yes, that was my concern. you know on discovery channel how they have those 3d models that have certain parts of the model move, i want to do keybinding so that, say, when I press a, the aireloins move, or whatever.

Back