• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server mobo brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

Been looking at Tyan Tomcat i7210 S5112... but it prolly dosent cover the needs i got quite anyway...

Whats needed:

Raid, preferably hardware, pATA Preferably sATA if nothing else works out.
(mirroring, for instant backup, going to host a image database, jpg's gifs, you name it..)

Boot of Sata, going to be a raptor, for a fast system acces.. well, that the plan atleast.

Cpu, Intel P4E 2.8Ghz. (existing)
Memory DDR400. "anybrand with lifetime warrenty"
Integrated LAN / VGA..

As said, a true server motherboard would be best i belive... i aint going to pay for it anyway.

Kick me off in the right general direction, and i'll get going from there..
B!

I'd rather use a northwood. Prescott is hot, and I dont want heat in my server. Besides, is there really a point in having a prescott when its not even at 3ghz?

Lets see, I've heard of a few different server manufacturers.

Tyan, Iwill...Intel. :)

well, im getting a replacement for my own P4E2.8, so far havent decided on if i want a P4C or a P4E D0 ....

Main intrest right now is to get a motherboard picked... seams to be hard to find server boards with hardware raid... (pATA)
B!

I don't know much about true server mobos, but I would think an Abit IC7 series would work for your purposes. Certainly you would have SATA RAID, although it will not have PATA RAID. For the socket 478 Prescott, I would only consider i875 chipset mobos. Newegg has a one day sale on the IC7-G right now. The DFI Lanparty mobo is the only quality i875 that I can think of off hand that has PATA RAID. I'm assuming some of the cheapie and generic boards might, but I usually shun those.

EDIT: Although this is an i865 chipset mobo, it might be worth looking at too since it has PATA and SATA RAID: Albatron PX865PE PRO II. I've heard excellent things about the Albatron Pro series. The i865 mobos won't support ECC RAM though.

Last edited:
If it goes to desktop motherboards, "most" Motherboards has atleast 1 pATA raid... but they are all software powerd (driver) Asus has 1 raidable ide, and Gigabyte has 2... along with 4 sata raidable in pairs... so there is options, but they would rely on the cpu for processing...

B!

Last edited:
Looks like the GA-8IKXW could fill the needs, if nothing else, would be good with integrated graphics, but apperently the PDC20276 raid chip (Promise integrated) is selfpowering, and dosent rely on cpu power... Will have to look around more to confirm this, but so far that looks "promising"

The newegg site wont help me much, im in sweden *- ) I'll just have to hit some reseller in my area, they'll prolly have it, more money possible, but shipping and import taxes will be bad from newegg anyway :- )

Thanks... I'll snoop about a while more, still a month untill its actually going to be done any shopping...

(Oh, right, i got a GA-8KNXP, Like em Gigabyte boards, stable, and good performance)
B!

I forgot you are in Sweden. That Gigabyte 8IKXW seems to be the best reasonably priced solution for what you seem to want. Hope you can find one locally or from a European internet retailer. Good luck.

Yeah, allready looked around a bit, looks like it might be hard to find... going to look some more. And, as time goes, it might be easyer.. or harder.

Sweden is sutch a small country, and if you "forgot" i'll take that as a compliment, atleast means it's not that obviues im not from a english speaking country...

B!

Back