• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just some good RAM to use with an A64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
Just need some good RAM to use with an A64

Hey guys... I want some ram that's gonna run at 250 mhz at just about any latency for as cheap as possible. (It can even be rated to do so without overclocking as long as it's cheap.) Just need one 512 stick.

Thinking about putting together an A64 rig. A 2800+ and a $80 chaintech board are already pushing the limits of my budget and I still want to overclock the thing.

Thanks

Go to Komusa.com and locate their HyperRam PC4200 which comes with Hynix D5 chips. Lots of guys are using this on A64 rigs. This ram will run in excess of 280 and sells for about 128/512 stick last time I checked. Kingmax DDR500 uses D5 chips also, just not speed binned quite as well as the Komusa. These sticks sell for around 100/512 at the egg. PQI has ram (see big thread for more info) with the Samsung TCCD chips that will run 2-2-2-11 at 210-220, then will climb up to 270-280 at relaxed timings. This stuff sells for about 130/512 stick.

Hope this helps.

Indeed it does... I was looking at the Kingmax TSOP 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-4000 which I'm assuming is what you're talking about. So you're saying that If I get REALLY lucky I might see 270 out of those since they are the same chips?

Yes, those are the ones that I was referring to and based on what guys are reporting, they do use the same Hynix D5 chips. The newer revision of these chips, the DT-D5 is what OCZ is using in their newest PC3700 Rev 3 ram that was recently reviewed by AnandTech. That review would be worth reading.

You might get lucky, but I don't think that the odds are as good as with the Komusa. Komusa/Adate speed bins these modules and the best are selected for the PC4200 therefor your chances are much better, just short of guaranteed.

I have them, pretty good stuff. IIRC, 2-2-2 at DDR400, and I've gone up to 245 no problem without high voltages but that's where the rest of the system limits me (no PCI/AGP locks).

Back