• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel every time???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evaseeker

i have two twinmos mem( 2x256@3200) working in dual channel mode..

if i put in another one will the old work in dual channel????!! all three ???!!! none

or do i need two two,,,

sorry to ask again but what if i use other kind-speed-size in the other slot.. so i will have two 256 MB 3200 in Dual Slots and another kind-speed-size in any other slot

I think with that motherboard, adding a third stick would, would revert all memory back to single channel. I can't say for sure since I don't have the manual, I'm sure it is quite clear on this. Also if you have the time read the stickie up top, Memory basics, overclocking and tweaking it should answer a lot of your questions. By the way WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

evaseeker said:
sorry to ask again but what if i use other kind-speed-size in the other slot.. so i will have two 256 MB 3200 in Dual Slots and another kind-speed-size in any other slot

yes, what youd do tho is move the 2x256 to single channel (that channel sees 512) then put another 512 stick in the second channel, thus leaving you with one gig in dual channel. afaik when you do this the board will default to 333/166 fsb.

That's not true. On Intel platforms, using three sticks will DISABLE dual channel mode. Springdale/Canterwood-systems must have either two or four slots populated in order to run in Dual Channel mode. This I know for a fact. If you want to learn more about this, see the sticky "Memory: Basics, Tweaking & Overclocking".

The method suggested by The_Jizzler applies to Socket A-platforms (or at least nForce2-chipsets). With this chipset it's possible to run dual channel using three sticks. But I wouldn't recommend it, for that matter.

Last edited:
Back