• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird BIOS options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venesectrix

I recently got an old (P3) motherboard that has some weird BIOS settings. I think I should enable them, but I don't really know anything about them, so I'm hoping somebody can help me out...

1. First of all, in the video options, it's got shared integrated video memory- since I'm going to run linux on this machine command-line only, is it okay to set the shared memory down from 1MB to 512K? also, should I enable or disable the video interrupt (default is enabled)?

2. When I go to Advanced Setup -> Cache Control, it lets me set the amount of cache I have. Default is to disable the cache, however, underneath that it states that my processor has 256KB of L2 cache, so should I set cache state to something like "Enabled with No ECC" (since I don't have ECC RAM)? Also in Advanced Setup, it lets me set the "PCI Parity" to enabled or disabled (default enabled)- I'm wondering if I should change this, but I'm confused about something else- I thought parity was whether or not the amount of bits set to 1 was even or odd, am I right or wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Ummm, I have no clue but somewhere there's a site that describes every BIOS option on the face of the earth. Too bad I can't remember what it is. I thought it was a sticky somewhere.

Sorry I'm not much help. You might want to try the mobo forum, you might have better luck there.

I think I know what those options are.

1. Sounds like the board has integrated video. When this is the case, the integrated video just uses some of the motherboards ram as video ram, in your case it can use up to 1mb of it. As this is increadably weak, I would set it to be as much as it can be......

2. Cash is like ram built right onto the chip. It is used for storing whatever the cpu is currently working on. You should set the L2 cash (level 2) to 256. ECC will make the cash operate slower, but more accutatly. I would leave it turned off since you probably don't need the added security.

Back