• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spyware now illegal? we'll see how this works out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"The House bill approved Tuesday explicitly permits snooping software built by the FBI or spy agencies secretly collecting information under a court order or other legal permissions affecting federal departments.

The bill's bans against spyware would begin 12 months after it becomes law and would automatically expire after 2009."

I think the first paragraph needs explaining, and the second paragraph needs A LOT of explaining.

tom10167 said:
"The House bill approved Tuesday explicitly permits snooping software built by the FBI or spy agencies secretly collecting information under a court order or other legal permissions affecting federal departments.

The bill's bans against spyware would begin 12 months after it becomes law and would automatically expire after 2009."

I think the first paragraph needs explaining, and the second paragraph needs A LOT of explaining.

ALOT.....

tom10167 said:

1) Government can use spyware/keyloggers for investigation purposes.

2) Everyone else cannot.

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to be foolish enough to give up my rights to the government in order to stop spyware. Kinda funny how lawmakers sneak stuff like that into bills.

gearfish said:
Virus's are Illegal too...

ya but i think that they just needed to get something on the books. Its hard to tell people to stop when there's no reprocussion if they don't. This will end up being totally unenforcable for the forceable future

It is better then what it was before. At least now some random company cant install their product on our pcs. The govt wont use it for bad purposes like the commercial companies would.

diggingforgold said:
1) Government can use spyware/keyloggers for investigation purposes.

2) Everyone else cannot.

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to be foolish enough to give up my rights to the government in order to stop spyware. Kinda funny how lawmakers sneak stuff like that into bills.

You are not giving up any rights. The government does this already. They are just stopping the use of spyware from other people that are already using it. I bet the government would have to have a good reason to put it on there anyway. I am sure that people would find it if it was on their systems.

what if the monitored agree to be monitored? is it still against the law? because alot of programs sneek that in the terms of agreement.

as i understand it from reading that article they can't hide that crap in the uela anymore.

"It requires that consumers explicitly choose to install such software and agree to the information being collected."

they way i read that is they have to actually tell you now what they are installing and give you the otpion of not instaling it. it has to be in plain sight and easy to understand for the non-computer savy people to recognize.

i like this bill. i do tech suport for dialup internet and you would not beleive how many people i talk to on a daily basis who's computers have been taken over by spyware.

i also like this line in the article.

"Barton acknowledged that experts had recently found more than 60 varieties of spyware installed on the panel's own computers. He said all the spyware programs had been installed without the permission of computer users."

that suggests that its not something they are likely to repeal later as it effects every one of the people voting.

it isn't enforceable now. but can be soon if the second bill passes which would give criminal sentences for companies secretly installing spyware. *couch* realplayer*cough*

it will be a hapy day when the first company gets criminal charges brought against them for illegaly installing spyware

couldnt you just put it somewhere that normal people dont read.
**Grins evily**

"Installing this program will also install a keylogger. If you do not wish to have a keylogger on your computer and you do not wish to have active keystroke monitoring please do not install this software."

depthad said:
couldnt you just put it somewhere that normal people dont read.
**Grins evily**

"Installing this program will also install a keylogger. If you do not wish to have a keylogger on your computer and you do not wish to have active keystroke monitoring please do not install this software."

did you not read the article or my post? hiding the fact that they install this crap is why this bill got passed. they cannot do that anymore. they have to PUT IT IN PLAIN SIGHT, explain what they are collecting and also give you the option of not installing it.

Griffeycom said:
It's not like this applys to people outside of the US...or am I mistaken..?

this applies to companies who's software is for sale in the US only. if someone in england gets spyware from a piece of software our government is not going to go after them. thats the job of the english goverment.

Back