• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!!!!need help with boot!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
im trying to install xp on a laptop that has no cdrom or floppy

i have a hp usb cdrom however it doesnt seem that it wants to recgoinze it on boot

it also has a cf card reader sooooo what i was thinking is that i could copy a boot image to the cf card.

what do i need to image the compact drive (d: drive) everything ive tried so far craps out after it relizes its not a floppy

please help

If you have a flash and the bios supports it (you did try it with the hp right?) that will work fine. I normally use Ultraiso but you could try Universal USB Installer or the like. If you cannot boot via iso, you may have to remove the hd. The cf card should actually be the OS partition, imo, if it's at least 8gb. I think the extra layer between the usb and the cd is the problem. It's similar to using a usb keyboard on some older systems. Boots fine but you have no keyboard or mouse for that matter.

Last edited:
Have you enabled USB Legacy mode that might get the drive to work sometimes HP machines dont have CD-ROM set-up at the 1st drive to boot from, I hate HP machines along with DELL there a pain in the chery tree to fix sometimes.

Back