• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just going 64bit (tonight)...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey all.
I'm not in here very often. :(

Anyway, I've finally got around to getting an Athlon64 system.
Not finished there yet though.

As I have crap ram now, I'm going to change it for something better.
A64s love bandwidth, correct? So lower latencies it will love.
My ram right now does 2.5-3-3-6 at 200mhz which is average.

What would be good for a 3000+ Newcastle with a MSI Neo?
I'm going to try overclock it at some stage but not untl next month when I get watercooling/or ultimate air.

Please let me know what your using and how you find it.
This could be one for flapperhead or gautum assumung their both still around.

austinbmxnig said:
7 stars and you don't come here often?

Thanks for your helpful contribution. ;)

Quattro,

These OCZ's will be awesome. 2-2-2-5 @ 200, TCCD samsung memory. Excellent ram, though a bit pricey. Also look at the PQI's 3200 2-2-2 series.

Also, look @ this, great article. This and also this.

If I was to buy new ram, I would definitely get something with the TCCD samsung chips (2-2-2).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the FSB was MUCH more important than the latency with A64's.. the main thing was just making sure you kept a 1T timing.

For me, I think I would just try to get some ram that runs the highest I could, no matter what the latency, at the best price.. The Ultra low latency stuff is much more expensive most of the time, and it seems you wouldn't be using it for that advantage anyway.

John

Thanks for that wealth of information dreIU very helpful.
They are expensive but I'll see how things go, I've got a very outgoing transfers next month, but I might have a fair bit of money coming back in so I might be able to afford it.

I'll see how my RAM limits me now.

BTW, Amtrac didn't deliver my package today... :(
Ultra mad paid for next day delivery.

Red02TA said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the FSB was MUCH more important than the latency with A64's.. the main thing was just making sure you kept a 1T timing.

For me, I think I would just try to get some ram that runs the highest I could, no matter what the latency, at the best price.. The Ultra low latency stuff is much more expensive most of the time, and it seems you wouldn't be using it for that advantage anyway.

John

Well with a64, both MHZ, and latency matter, it just depends on how high a FSB, or how tight of timings;).

i would say that in most cases, more FSB is better, but, just as an example, if you had 250@2-2-2 Vs [email protected], i would say that 250@2-2-2 woudl be better.

and in most cases it is best to keep 1t, but just with the latencies, there are limits.

i think that 290-300@2t, would abviously be better that 200-230+ish@1t.

Great info DreIU:thup:

as dreIU said, it seems that TCCD based memory is the thing to beat with A64. and as you can see from the link he gave, it is possibly the most versital ram availible, i me, come on...lol :cool:

2-2-2@200
2.5-3-3@250
2.5-4-3@300 :eek:

of course we must try our best not to go by some of AnAndTechs reviews, but there have been MANY people haveing great success with both the OCZ 3200 EL PLat Rev. 2, and the PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5-1T with A64.

i feel that it would be hard to not be satisfied with almost any TCCD, and A64.

Back