• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CH5 or not??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Highlander

Have 2*256mb sticks of OCZ EL 3500, they were sat in my infinity at 233 fsb on 2.5,2,3,11 for a good 6 months. Just moved them over to a modded NF7 and they run 2.5,2,2,11 happily at 230 on 3.14v. Not sure if they tighten to 2,2,2,x not tested as of yet.
Anyway rambling aside I was lead to believe this ram used CH5 chips, but from reading other peoples experiences they seem to run too tighter timings at this FSB, + CH5 doesnt usally respond to voltages over ~ 2.9 so i thought.

Lift up a corner of the heatspreader and have a look. It sounds like Hynix d43 to me but I'm not certain.

it has been rumored that the ch-5 chips have a limiter set at 2.77v
people that are running 3.0-3.3v, seem to have the best results 220+@2-2-2-x
however from 2.77-2.9v the ram doesn't respond very well, and gives errors
i own some ch-5, but i think i got very lucky as it will run 2-2-2-11 @2.7v which is indicative of bh5. hmm. gl though.

My CH5 wouldn't run 2-2-2 at anything below 2.9v (and raising the vdimm above 2.6v didn't make any difference for me). However, it is now in the NF7-S that I used to have my BH5 in, which is voltmodded to 3.3vdimm, and they're running 2-2-2-11 at that speed. I actually think it's still running stock FSB (217Mhz, it's a stick of Kingston HyperX, 512MB), but neither of my NF7's take kindly to FSB speeds above 220 anyway, so it's hard for me to test its limit on that respect.

perl, do you have cpc on or off. if you are going for a high fsb, get a bios that has cpc disabled.
btw
i'm not sure if they are ch-5. your ram could also be micron too. however if you bought the el plat. limited, lucky you cuz.....its BH5
mem ics

Last edited:
I brought standard EL, but it was faulty, got this stuff back on RMA :) Will OCZ be able to tell whats on it from a part/serial code?

No, have asked OCZ, its CH5 :)
Hvaing massive trouble getting this stuff stable atm, wouldnt pass prime at all at 230, 3 hours and it failed. 230 @ 2.5,2,2,11 throws 2 errors after 84 loops of memtest and thats it. Clean after that. 2.5,2,3,11 is clean for 144 loops now so hopefully things can move on from there :D

<edit> saying that its just produced 2 errors :( ah well back to the drwaing board :( </edit>

Back