• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question for the XP experts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

My Daughter has a system running XP. She also has a Son of 1 1/2yrs that likes to play with the keyboard and mouse. Somehow he has gotten the Taskbar to double-wide. You cannot drag it back to the single size. You cannot even drag it to another position. Funny thing is if you turn off the Quick Launch toolbar it will go back to normal. Turn the QL back on and it's back to the double-wide. The taskbar is not locked and I cannot see any options checked other than the normal options. Unfortunately, my Grandson is not yet ready to tell me how he did it.

It's more of a trial and error type of fix than anything. Look on the lower level of the taskbar and see if you have an icon or a separator line on it. If you see either one, you'll need to adjust the width of the toolbars (like Address, Quick Launch, etc) on the first level until there's nothing on the second line. Make sure your taskbar is unlocked (right click it, uncheck "Lock the taskbar").

You'll have to move things until there is nothing at all, including the vertical line, on the second level. Once things are clear, you'll be able to resize the taskbar.

You'll have to move things until there is nothing at all, including the vertical line, on the second level.
That's the weird thing about this, there is nothing on the second line. COuld one of the Quick Launch icons be too big and thus cause this?

Right click on a blank area within the quick launch toolbar space, and then select view, small icons. That should shrink them to the smallest size. If you still can't figure it out, close all toolbars and then resize it. Then you can add a new quicklauch toolbar after you figure it out. Good luck.

Have you tried right clicking on an empty space on the taskbar and clicking "Lock the Taskbar", therefore unchecking it? When it's unchecked you can resize the taskbar and do some rearranging. Be sure to lock it back when you're done to keep it set up correctly.

I called her and checked on the small icons thing and it was selected. I had her delete ALL the QL icons and then the bar could be taken to only one space high. But as soon as she adds any one of the icons back it goes back to double-wide. And "Lock The Taskbar" is unchecked. Really strange and annoying

Back