• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought Asus motherboard ?? on it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

I have 2 year old tower from HP 753n. If I disconnect all the old stuff and connect it to the new motherboard will I have to reinstall the hard drive or anything. Also I don't have and CD to reinstall and drivers since its an HP It has the second drive with the back up stuff. This is a temporary set up until I buy the other parts of the computer. Info needed please. :D

Yes and you'll need a valid copy of XP. Be sure and set the BIOS so that your CD/DVD ROM is the Boot Master. It will give the option to reformat the drive.

Oh this is great. I was gunna use the old computer as spare parts. Rather just build this PC piece by piece.

Woozy said:
I have 2 year old tower from HP 753n. If I disconnect all the old stuff and connect it to the new motherboard will I have to reinstall the hard drive or anything. Also I don't have and CD to reinstall and drivers since its an HP It has the second drive with the back up stuff. This is a temporary set up until I buy the other parts of the computer. Info needed please. :D

So what chipsets does the HP computer you had. If it has the same chipsets with the current mb you're using atm, you dont need to reinstall windows.......Just make sure you had the cd-key for winxp coz one way or another it will ask for activation.

There is no winxp CD since it a store bought computer. Hp does not put copy of winxp in the bundle. Computer has secondary drive with winxp and stuff on it. For when u reformat and stuff.

Woozy said:
There is no winxp CD since it a store bought computer. Hp does not put copy of winxp in the bundle. Computer has secondary drive with winxp and stuff on it. For when u reformat and stuff.

Try to launch Everest home edition.....Go to the Operating system tab and you'll find the Winxp CD-key there.....Write it down and then try using the new mobo.....

I used to have a dell system and it had 875P chipset. When i replaced with my new mobo. I didnt have to reinstall anything. I just downloaded some proggy to clean windows and I was set...Ti'll now i havent reformat eversince....

Vflux

HP/Compaq use various patches for their factory setup rigs and would probably be a gamble to get the asus board to function properly, so good luck.

You don't necessarily have to format the drive and start over. There are guides that show you exactly how to switch drives over to a new chipset and still keep your existing data. When I find the link to the guide I'll post it here. Also, I'm dead sure I found it in one of the forums here.

Basically you have to uninstall a couple drivers, including AGP.

I can save all my data easly i have small network at home with 3 computers. So I also need to reformat I know how to do that stuff. Just changing the motherboards is my main goal.

You'd be so much happier with a fresh install of XP, even the Home edition. An OEM copy cost less that $90 and SP2 is Free. That HP version is so full of junk it ain't even funny.

Just my 2 cents though ... your choice

Back