• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!! can't install anything...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Statik

for some reason i can't install any apps... can't install aim, free version of avg, nothing. i try to launch the exe and nothing happens. i can't even run windows update... i keep getting booted to a search site when i try to go there. i don't have any ideas at all. any help would be appreciated. i'm running xp w/ SP1.

Are you going to windowsupdate.com or windowsupdates.com. The plural one (with s on the end) is a search site.

If you are doing it correctly, and still get pushed to a search site, download and run hijackthis and other spyware utilities mentioned in the stickies about spyware in this forum.

About not being able to run exe's... I'm not sure. Sounds like I've run into this problem before. I don't remember what I did to fix it tho...

Hope you don't have an adware issue here. I'd locate and download CWShredder just to be sure. It's quick and easy. I've had infections before where it would redirect certain sites to some different search sites, among other curious behavior. Give it a try, won't hurt.

Back