• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 875p NEO FISR no vcore adjustment for prescott?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomslick

Registered
Hi,
I got this board a couple of weeks ago, to my dismay no vcore adjustment for prescotts. Flashed to the latest bios with no effect. My asus p4p800-edeluxe will boot to windows at 3.63 and is prime stable at 3.5. My msi which does not allow vcore adjustment for prescotts will only get 3.2. Anyone got info for a fix, I really like this board but if there is no prescott voltage tweeking I will have to can it.

All info appreciated.

I'm not sure why they haven't included it as a choice in their BIOS selections yet, but here is a link Dcasole gave me explaining their reasoning for locking vcore for the Prescott's

Dynamic VID article

As far as I know, there isn't a BIOS out for that board that will allow vcore change. Dcasole will probably pop up in a while to confirm that. He's the MSI forum guru who comes over here to help with questions like this. He has a Prescott on an MSI board, so he might be better suited to answer your questions than I would.

Well MTB just about summed it up .

When Prescotts were first released MSI chose to take the "High Road" and lock the vcore on all their boards because of "Dynamic VID"

You can read about it here
Prescotts and Dangerous Tweaks

The thought process was that if a user set the Vcore at the limit of the CPU this Dynamic VID could kick in and fry the chip.

Then for some unexplained reason they decided to unlock it for certain boards

Both the 865 PE "Revison 2" and the 875 boards now have the vcore unlocked but the 865 PE "Revision 1" boards ( which is what I have :( ) is still locked

Dave

Its a known issue. I had heard alot of MSI guys bitching about it, but it is a known issue. Since S478 prescotts put so much stress on the mobo as a safty precaution MSI locked the vcore.

They did this with good reason. I can think of a 1/2 dozen people who's boards are now dead because of their CPU.

What power supply do you have? If it doesn't supply enough power, you'll end up frying your PSU if you try to overclock too far with it. A good average is about 20-24A on the +12V rail....... it's usually better to have more, but that's the lower end.

Dcasole said:
Both the 865 PE "Revison 2" and the 875 boards now have the vcore unlocked but the 865 PE "Revision 1" boards ( which is what I have :( ) is still locked

Dave

Is 875P NEO-FISR PCB2.0 vcore unlocked for Prescott? and how high vdimm can go?

I got this 875P Neo FISR today. It is such a pain in the ***! MSI insists that you don't update the BIOS from a floppy disk! Why is that?? I have a non-FAT hard disk so situation gets worse. I have to set up a ramdrive first, copy files to it, and then update from there. You must have TWO floppy disks: a ME/98 boot disk and a empty disk to extract files to. You are SOL if you don't have access to ME/98, who is still using them nowadays?

Updated the BIOS to 3.6 using their LiveUpdate. Still no vcore adjustment for prescott in BIOS. However in CoreCenter I can raise the vcore upto 1.8V, Vdimm upto 3.0V, which is a great improvement over the Abit IS7 it replaced.

It does not recognize mobile prescott as well as IS7. Everytime I have to clear the BIOS in order to boot into windows, otherwise I only get a blank screen.

Last edited:
Back