• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200, PC3700 or PC4000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimBlake84

Yo! I have an athlon XP 3000+ Barton OC'd at 2.3. I want to push it further but my ram is keeping me back (the one thing I skimped on when I bought this rig... damn PC2700!) anyways, I am checking these out on Newegg and need yoru opinion. Now, my mobo (chaintech Zenith 7NJS NU) is only compatible with up to PC3200 but I don't want to be buying new ram again when I upgrade to a 64 bit system in the (hopefully) near future. Would PC3700 and PC4000 ram still work and just operate at PC3200 speeds? Or will it not be compatible at all? What would you recommend. The difference in price is meaningless.... $6 at most. Here is the item...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-004&depa=0

yeah all that ram would work, it would just default lower. i think the higher the memory speed the better. The pc4000 would work great with a A64

I'm curious as to how good patriot RAM is, for the price it's at, if it is of good quality then it's a steal. In which case I may purchase some.

EDIT: Site navigation error to the link you posted.

Tatuya-
I was thinking the same thing. A 512mb dual channel kit of pc4000 for 91 bucks??? pretty damn good if you ask me. I second your question. Hell, if it is good memory, I won't hesitate to buy it even if I do have to buy ram again in 6 months. BTW, error on my link or disk11's?

TimBlake84 said:
Tatuya-
I was thinking the same thing. A 512mb dual channel kit of pc4000 for 91 bucks??? pretty damn good if you ask me. I second your question. Hell, if it is good memory, I won't hesitate to buy it even if I do have to buy ram again in 6 months. BTW, error on my link or disk11's?
Disk's.

(Shortest post EVER)

I use this analogy alot. Having fast ram is like having z rated tires on a car. You normally dont drive round at 150 mph, but if you decide to it's nice to know you can do it safely. And yes, having the faster ram will ensure that you can go through whatever upgrades you want, and not outgrow the ram.(at least not anytime soon) :beer:

Eh, my bad. Go to newegg's memory section, sort by pc3200, the size of memory that you want, and at the bottom where you can enter text enter "2-2-2". I reccomend this because it can do 2-2-2 @ ddr400 and the chips are rated for ddr500 with most people doing 2.3-3-3-7 with low voltage, and these chips have been proven to go even higher. All of the new ddr600 sticks I've seen use TCCD chips.

Back