• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

768mgs PC2700 or 512mgs PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I currently have 768 megs PC2700 RAM i was thinking about switching it out for my brothers 512 Megs of PC3200 RAM since he doesnt OC, would this be worth it.

I think if i switch, i might possibly be able to get an extra 350MHZ+ out of my processor, because he was able to do 2520 on air, and I switched my board and cpu for his (so now i have a barton 2500 m and he has a tbred 2400 (unlocked) as of right now the board doesnt want to go over a 14x multiplier though, so 2.45ghz is the max i can get with my PC2700 thats OCed to 175MHZ

hmm, tough choice. Personally I would probably stay with the 768 megs of pc-2700. I'm not sure what games you play but the newer ones really don't work too well with only 512 meg. Sure you might get a few more fps with a higher fsb and cpu speed, but thats not going to do you any good when your screens jerking around all the time due to hard drive access.

I beg to differ, at fast ram speeds, the games loads faster, higher bandwidth and generally better performance. I have played Far Cry and Doom both at 512mb and IGB, the difference is noticeable the first time you run the game. Its very much playable @512, slightly smoother @1GB. But then you have 768 of slower ram. I give the 512 a slight edge.............

I would say a bit more would be worth the Mhz. Really don't help if you run outta space how fast you can access it.

I would certainly have to agree with mata2974, the faster ram would be my choice in a heartbeat. first off 768 is not that much more than 512. And unless you have 20 windows open music playing and a video in the backround 512 is going to be plenty to run games. But having the faster ram will allow you to speed everything up. And if it is good pc3200 and your mobo is good you can crank it up even more. Then all you'll need is another 512 stick which can be had for about 59 bucks at frys on sale (right now as a matter of fact). And you'll have a gig of the fast stuff. Again I gotta say go with the faster ram

I would test. Many games comming out now require 1GB of ram to run smooth. I would just test and see which runs better :clap:

Back