• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual dub question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hi guys...this is my problem...i downloaded some codecs... but none showed up in Virtualdub
i`m trying to do a clip but the movies i have and where the material is from are coded VBR and so..i can use just pieces of them...
can someone explain this demux mux things? or how i could cut a movie part without the sound desyncing?

Thanks alot for any help
p.s: how do i save a avi segment without the sound?

"I tried to opened a avi file I get a message "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility.". What does that mean?
I means your AVI contains VBR (variable bitrate) audio, usually mp3. Neither VDub nor AVI supports this, writing it into AVI is a hack that can lead to troubles (namely inconsistant desync and uncompressable video frames). If you want to know more about this hack, read the IRC log in the VDubMod FAQ (#14).
Ok, I understood VBR audio is bad, so what do I do when I want to edit AVIs containing VBR audio?
Clean solutions:

* Transmux the whole file to a container format supporting vbr audio and edit that (eg Matroska, OGM).
* Save AVI with uncompressed audio, do your editting, recompress audio
* Demux audio, recompress to cbr mp3, remux, do your editting

Hack solution:

* Use NanDub or VDubMod (NanDub compatibility mode). I heard its a bad idea to try to recompress audio on the fly using this option."

Back