• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E MOSFET Heatsink Sizing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratcat

< mods - pls move if inappropriate thread placement >

I was going to post in cooling, but this seemed the best place.

Here's what's happening so far:

I've got my trusty P4C800-E Dlx (ver 1.02), and recently have been playing around w/my new D0 SL7E5 Prescott (mobo previously held a 2.8 @ 3.6 P4C 'MO'). I was running the new Pressie at 3.84 (240 X 16) on air, using 1.5 Vcore as set in the BIOS (I.4V actual - running full load Distributed Computing 24/7).

Yesterday, I checked out the FETS, & whoa baby!!! I couldn't even barely touch 'em! Yowza! They were sizzlin' HOT!!! They always passed the "finger test" before w/my northie, but now, NO MORE. So I backed down the FSB to 230, & the Vcore to 1.45V (1.36V actual under full load). Much better now, & I can at least touch 'em for a few moments w/o risking a trip to the ER!

*whew*

So I decided to sink 'em up, along w/doing the Vcore droop mod at the same time.

+++

Here's The Deal:

I was starting to order Microcool Black MOSFET Chipsinks from Sidewinders. I checked out the sink's dimensions (12mm x 12mm), did the conversion (~1/2"), and measured another Asus mobo for fit. Turns out the Microcool "MOSFET" sinks are LARGER than my FETS! My FETS measure closer to 5/16ths of-an-inch (~1/3").

So I checked further, & Sidewinders also has these Microcool Black MicroSink, which, at 8.5 x 8.5 (~1/3"), seem to be a better fit.

Now I'm concerned the "MOSFET" spec'd sinks might be too large!

+++

BTW - I'm also thinking of using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive or Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive. I'm not too found of thermal pads in general, but I'm still somewhat debating the of use thermal epoxies, 'cuz once they're on, that's it! On for good, right? At the moment, I'm leaning towards the AS Alumina, due too it's non-conductivity & my distrust of thermal pads.

Oh yeah - I'm using a Zalman 7000cu (hard to believe, eh?), & will be keeping it for this machine. It seems to hold my full load Distributed Computing temps 'reasonably' OK (49 - 53*C using AsusProbe) at my desired OC, and has the added effect of blowing air all over the FETS & stock passive NB sink, and also causes some turbulence around the DIMMs, which I like. I've been running w/o a case sidecover since I built it over a year ago, & use 120mm case fans, front & rear, even w/o the cover.

Any opinions?

Anyone used these products on the same (or similar) mobo?

TIA

Strat

my suggestion for u and ur wallet is try to get ur hands on an old heatsink u may have around and just whip out ur trusty dremel and cut accordingly!

Thx for the quick replies, guys!

ed.howell said:
Strat,

I used a combination of both on my P4C. I also bought from sidewinder but I got the silver ones.
Ed -

Did you used the oem pads, or a thermal epoxy? Any opinions on adhesives?

Stratcat,

I bough the micro sinks you are talking about for the P4C800-e and they are great. I also use a couple of OCZ copper mini flower sinks for the clock chip and the two fets at the top of the board. I used the thermal tape and think its doing a pretty good job. I am sure that adhesive is better and since I have droop modded it I can't worry about the warranty. Maybe I will mix up some AS epoxy tonight.

musk

Stratcat said:
Thx for the quick replies, guys!

Ed -

Did you used the oem pads, or a thermal epoxy? Any opinions on adhesives?

Ya I used the thermal pads that came on the heatsinks. I was thinking about epoxy but like you I don't want it to be permanent!! Never really investigated anything else to be honest.

Ed

Back