• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can I run 2 kits of dual channel in a nf7-s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

I have an nf7-s with khx3500ak2/512 in it which is 2x 256mb running in dual channel. If I put another khx3500ak2/512 in it will they also run in dual channel or should I save the extra cash and just buy 1 more 512mb chip and slap it in there?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you asking about using 4 sticks? There are only 3 slots in an NF7.

ahh

I haven't even looked. I guess I'll be selling my khx3500ak2/256. What is the hot memory out there right now if I am going to be upgrading to a p4 3.2e and pushing it to 4ghz?

Take a look at this sticky:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=257741

The most important part of that sticky that answers your question is:

Most dual channel capable nforce2 motherboards come with three slots. On these motherboards the first memory controller controls only the first slot (or the slot by itself), while the second memory controller controls the last two slots (which are usually closer together). Name them slots 1, 2 & 3 respectively. To implement Dual Channel, it is necessary to occupy the slot 1 (channel 0) and either one of the two slots that are closer together, slots 2 or 3 (channel 1). The entire config would be running in 128 bit mode.

You can use three modules in Dual Channel Mode, by filling the third unoccupied slot. With three sticks, slots 1 remains as channel 0 while slot 2&3 become channel 1. To maintain 128-bit mode, with all three slots filled, each channel must have an equal amount of memory. For example, slots 1 should be filled with a 512 Mb module, while slots 2 & 3 are populated 256 Mb modules. If you were to use three modules of the same size, then only the first two modules would be running in 128 bit Dual Channel Mode. Example, using 3x 256 Mb modules will have the first 512 Mb running in 128 bit Dual Channel mode, while the remaining 256 Mb will be in 64-bit Single Channel mode.

mycotopian said:
ahh

I haven't even looked. I guess I'll be selling my khx3500ak2/256. What is the hot memory out there right now if I am going to be upgrading to a p4 3.2e and pushing it to 4ghz?

some memory that most people are having great success with is the PQI TCCD ram..... if you want to learn more about it check out this thread...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=322406

You can run DC with 3 sticks of memory, have run with 3*256 no probs DC before. 2*256 and 1*512 is also ok (if thats what you were asking)

Highlander said:
You can run DC with 3 sticks of memory, have run with 3*256 no probs DC before. 2*256 and 1*512 is also ok (if thats what you were asking)

Actually I don't believe that statement is totally correct. A configuration of 1x512 + 2x256 will work in dual channel, but 3x256 will result in 2x256 capable of being accessed by both memory controller concurrently, but the third stick could only be accessed by the second controller in single-channel mode. This arrangement will still show up in CPU-Z as being operating in dual-channel mode, and it is...but only for two sticks. The nForce2 chipset's maximum amount of ram capable of operating in dual-channel is limited to two times the amount of ram in the DIMM with the single slot, therefore when using a single 512 in the first slot you can run a total of one gig in dual-channel mode (2x512 or 512 + (256 + 256)), however, when using the 3x256, the maximum operating in DC would be the 256 in the single slot x 2 or 512 total, not 768. As stated above, the last 256 stick would be operating in single-channel mode.

Back