• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running Memtest after OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOneBee

Registered
Had just done the l12 mod and flashed to a modded BIOS, been wanting to see what my rams can go up to.

What test should i run in Memtest, and errors in which test # shows that it's unstable from an overclock?

Should i run that specific test, or just let Memtest run all its test? And, how many passes should i run to make sure that it's completely stable?

TIA :D

ïß®äHïM said:
How many passes of the #5 test in Memtest should i run before my Oc is considered error-free?

memtest is a lousy way to determine overall system stability.... I can run memtest at 244 fsb without errors for days and fail prime after 3 minutes..... it's a decent indicator but not a sure way of determining stability.

^ It is an excellent way to test for ERRORS, but you'll see if your system has absolute stability when you try to boot up with it and see if it is 3D stable or not, or prime it to see how long it lasts. For some reason, memtest can't stress overclocks enough to determine instability. Although, I'm betting the the power consumption after booting Windows, and then running most of your components in prime draws more power that running a mem/chipset test in DOS.

enduro said:
^ It is an excellent way to test for ERRORS.

I believe that sums it up. Don't confuse Memtest's function. Memtest should be used before ever going into Windows to be sure that there are no memory related errors that can result in the corruption of data. Once you are satisfied (read link for info on amount of testing deemed sufficient) that there are no memory errors, you can proceed with stability testing using Prime95 and 3DMark01, Aquamark, etc.

Cool. Thanks for clearing up a lot of qns. :D

How long do u guys run Prime's blend test (or wadever benches u use to test for stability) at every 5MHz increment before increasing it again?

BTW, just changed a new nick. I was 21-B. :p

I ran Prime for 3 hrs on Blend usually to test an overclock. If it is prime stable, then there is a good chance that it is 3D stable, but being that testing for 3D stability is my favorite test, I have to "force" myself to play UT for 2 hrs to test it out ;)

Back