• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it really true? Cheap memory directly from Taiwan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ursine3000

I went into my local comp shop to buy some 512mb of PC3200 and my friend that works there told me not to buy memory from him but rather to try and find some directly from Taiwan. He said I could pick up a Gig for like $30 and ship it for about that much more saving me alot of money. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any websites to check out?

Uhhhhh. since 9/11 that whole country is sealed up pretty tight. so you would be paying for mad customs and stuff anyway. but i highly doubt you are going to find a gig of ram for that price. you might get a 256 stick for that. but since most of the memory makers are based there, they sell to everyone, who has offices there too. the memory market is inflated.. as the recent press on infineon and various others states, but i dont belive you could get a gig of ram for that price anywhere other than out of the back of some guys black van.
see no evil, hear no evil perhaps, but if there is a chance that stuff was stollen. when it goes through customs, that kinda stuff can be tracked.

But, im not american, i dont know how things work down there really. if you can get a price like that... totally jump on it.

I dont know if its true or not but he said he did it and that he didnt have the web address with him but he said he would have it if I go in next week. So if this is new to everyone else I will see what the story is and let you guys know.

unfortunately, in some cases u could probably get some memory in bulk prices that seem unrealistic. there are companies over in china that buy rejects from major manufacturers, that is chips or modules that wont pass testing because some part is defective, and do work arounds on the defective sectors. then sell the module at super cheep prices. of course they dont run right or go bad when stressed. now theres nothing wrong with going that route if the purchaser knows what he is buying.. unfortunately some are remarked as brand name, thats where the problems lies.. u generally get what u pay for..

Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MB modules from CompuVest????

I'm not sure yet if I got what I paid for, so you don't have to travel to Taiwan to experience that pleasure.

I've ordered 10 or 12 things from Hong Kong over the last 2 years, I haven't had any real hassles with it, so where do you get thei idea that buying memory of all things is going to make customs go whacko? It's not white and it;s not powdery... And ya, I do live in America...

Reefa_Madness said:
Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MB modules from CompuVest????

I'm not sure yet if I got what I paid for, so you don't have to travel to Taiwan to experience that pleasure.

hey guy, whats up with these people??? i noticed u have mentioned them a few times and in NOT very complimentay terms.. jeesh i hope they know better than to sell remarked stuff.

man_utd said:
I've ordered 10 or 12 things from Hong Kong over the last 2 years, I haven't had any real hassles with it, so where do you get thei idea that buying memory of all things is going to make customs go whacko? It's not white and it;s not powdery... And ya, I do live in America...

What website do you use?

Back