• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All folders read only: cant change attribute

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

just like it says, all of my folders are suddenly read only. (i havent been creating many, but i've been downloading and moving things without a problem). then this morning i tried to instal a few games. the install would run like normal but would end strangly, i then noticed that the install was making the new directories and putting files int, but when it finnished the files would dissapear.

i checked out the properties of my c:\games foler and read only is set. i unchecked it, tried installing again with the same problem. looked at the properties and read only was checked again. unckeck, reload properties and its rechecked. restart, no change, same thing. log on as admin, still no different. i've also tried setting the attrib from the command prompt to no avail.

whats up, any ideas?

The Read-only and System attributes are only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer doesn't allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549

Also...Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256614

thanks, but no-go.

to elaborate a little the read-only box isnt just 'checked', it has a green box in it. if i click on it, it cycles throught the box, a check, and empty. no matter what i try and 'apply' it at it always goes back to the box.
even after the regedit, even trying in safe mode, and using explorer & cmd

oh yeah, XP w/ SP2

Last edited:
and the plot thickens...

i've formatted, a new install of windows and i'm seeing the same thing.
i jumped over to my GF's laptop to type this and decided to check a few folders out.... all read only with the block.

wth????

anybody?

edit: at least it just passed the Doom3 test. i was attempting to re-install D3 and far cry, both which failed at the end of their installs because the files would just dissappear.

Last edited:
Back