• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

window xp upgrade version question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s002wjh

Hi, I just build a new pc with all the new hardware, but when I go buy a window xp at school, it is the window xp upgrade version. so I want to know do I need window 95 or 98 to install the xp onto my PC. I don't have any OS right now since its all new stuff.

also whats difference between xp upgrade version and just window xp? which one i should get to install on a PC that doesn't have any OS yet?

The Full and Upgrade versions of WinXP are identical, expect for the rules Re: the requirements to install them. The Full version can be used without restriction as either a clean installation or upgrade. The Upgrade can also be used for either a clean installation or an upgrade, however if used for a clean installation, it requires proof of ownership of a previous qualifying version...either already installed on the drive or in the form of a CD inserted when prompted to do so.

As mentioned you really need the full version. However if you can legally acquire a copy of windows 95 or 98 (on the cheap) then you can just get the upgrade.

i have a window 95 upgrade will that work? or it had to be 98?

IF you got 2 cd drives you can pit the 95-98 disc in it and it will consider it an os to upgrade. No need to actually install it though.

Back