• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Browser hijak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
neither worked. I got hijak this and it still defaults to that site but at least I can go to other web sites now. Thanks guys.

Run HijackThis and post a copy of your log on security-forums. There are tons of people who will help you figure out what to do by just looking at the hijackthis logs. I've found that site useful whenever I have to clean up infested computers.

Note: not trying to promote that forum, just pointing out a valuable resource in battling spyware, trojans, viruses and all sorts of security issues. This forum is of course, a valuable resource on computer hardware, especially tweaking (overclocking) :D

Of course, running Spybot and Ad-Aware in safe mode seems to get rid of a lot of spyware. Remember to update them first. A good practice is to always get spybot to immunize Internet Explorer.

EDIT: meh, you could post your hijackthis log here, I'll try my best to help you out.

Am I missing something or did he not even mention which page he is being hijacked to?

What page is it taking you to? Do you have any search bars that you don't want? Do you have any idea what the name of the spyware component is thats causing you this problem?

Follow the malware warfare guide in my sig, and let us know how each step goes. After you run a hijackthis scan, post a log here, and we will tell you what to fix and what you need to do - when you fix things with HJT, you often need to also track down and delete files on your system. Don't bother posting on security forums or a place like that - you'll be lucky to get a response any time soon as they are swamped with these sorts of request.

Also, do not use spybot immunization - use spywareblaster as it is better, updated more often, and more complete.

Follow the guide in my sig and let me know if you have any problems, and we will help.

You could also post logs form spybot and adaware if you want, those might help.

Bad advice Maxi, while FF is less susceptible, vulnerabilities are quickly being taken advantage of in firefox also... It is currently the favorite child of developers and web users alike, and as such is becoming more and more of a target. Firefox will not solve all of your problems.

d00kie said:
Run HijackThis and post a copy of your log on security-forums. There are tons of people who will help you figure out what to do by just looking at the hijackthis logs. I've found that site useful whenever I have to clean up infested computers.

Note: not trying to promote that forum, just pointing out a valuable resource in battling spyware, trojans, viruses and all sorts of security issues. This forum is of course, a valuable resource on computer hardware, especially tweaking (overclocking) :D

Of course, running Spybot and Ad-Aware in safe mode seems to get rid of a lot of spyware. Remember to update them first. A good practice is to always get spybot to immunize Internet Explorer.

EDIT: meh, you could post your hijackthis log here, I'll try my best to help you out.

Here is a thread with links to how to read and use a hijackthis log effectively;)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=327749&highlight=hijack

you have to go into your directory im pretty sure and just clear it out, its an easy fix, happened to a few of the other comp. in the house

I think you mean registry plobby, and that is mostly correct depending on the nature of the hijacker - however the simplest way to do that is through the use of the HJT program.

Back