• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is prime reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dexter1989

Registered
Well i got my barton 2600 mobile overclocked ti 2600mhz (200x13) at 1.8v. If i run prime, it runs for about 4 seconds n i get:
FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.4999997491, expected less than 0.4

But, in fact, ive been testing my comp with games n 3dmark n its completly stable. So now i dont know if prime is really reliable, i trust in any other error, but not in rounding errors anymore...
So, what programs should i use to fully test my stability??

This are my specs:
Amd Barton 2600 mobile @ 2600mhz (200x13) 1.8v
Abit Nf7-s rev2.0 (D26 black mantarray bios with L12 mod n cpc on
1x256 OCZ ddr400
Asus ge force 4 ti4200 128mb mb ddr 8x

Thanx

256 mb ram that sounds a little to limited couldnt it be somthing to do with having limited amount of ram

Dexter1989 said:
Well i got my barton 2600 mobile overclocked ti 2600mhz (200x13) at 1.8v.

I'm guessing it's not Prime with the issue here. Back off the overclock a bit and see if the error goes away, If it does, then you're not 100% stable at the clocks above.

the answer is yes

is it 100% reliable no
but its definetly 99.99999%

the chances of a false negative ( or a false hardware fault are pretty small)

If your machine is erroring the Prime95 torture test, then it almost certainly isn't stable.

Prime95 Torture testing is basically a math test, where your chips answers are compared against the right answers immediately.

If your chip gets a wrong answer, something isn't working as it is supposed to. Sure, you may be able to play games, and bench 3DMark, but a potential for CPU mistakes still exists in your system.

That potential for a mistake to happen is instablity, and could cause problems for you at pretty much any time.

Try raising your voltage a little bit, or lowering your overclock a little bit; doing either will most likely get your machine nice and stable, or at least one step closer.

If Prime95 failed in less than 5 seconds, then if you're gaming, don't be surprised
if Windows starts crashing and rebooting often.

I've never been able to pass the Prime95 torture test. Stock or overclocked. But I've also never had a problem with system stability so long as I stay at 3.6 or less.

Back