• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Application Accellerator & Hypertreading:EventID 51

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

izzugotom

Registered
Problem:EventViewer Event ID:51
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation."
>>Whatching the blue bar on bootup, it sometimes hesitates for 2-3 sec, then I know
the problem has occured. At the moment I am booted up 100% without the problem.
>>I noticed on Internet a lot of users has this problem.
>>>This only happens during BOOT, near the end of it, blue bar...
:temper:
##########
This has to do with speed: Disk mode=UDMA-5
#########
Details:p4 3.06Ghz,MB=GA-8IEXP Rev2.1, Chipset=845E, M=Twimoss 768MB.
##########

History-1:I never had this problem, till I upgraded from P4 2Ghz to P4 3.06Ghz with HT.
The MB supports HT. With HT disabled, the problem is gone. I managed to get rid of problem while on SP1 and upgrading the Intel Application Accelerator to 2.3....
Never saw it again...

History-2: Untill I upgraded to SP2 from CD. In the mean time I have proved it has to do with the IAA from Intel & Hypertreading.
1-If I disable HT, it never happens.
-or-
2-If I uninstal Intel IAA, with HT enabled, it never happens.

>>>But doing the above slows the PC noticibly down....

I have 2x diff makes of disks, Maxtor 40GB & WD 40GB, happens with both. They are not brand new, but the WD is 3.5 years, and max is 1.5 year.

:clap:
Question-1:Does anybody know more about this problem ?
>>This has to do with speed to the disk, via IDE/controller
Question-2:Do you think buying a brand new disk with 8MB cache could solve this problem.

Found something concrete: If I disable System Restore, problem is gone...

After you installed the new CPU, did you perform a clean install of XP...or did you just enable HT in the BIOS and boot into your previous install?

I did not do a clean install.

Before fitting the P4, I updated the BIOS.
After fitting the P4 & new PSU[300W to 530W], the PC crashed in nearly every program,when HT was enabled, perfect when disabled again.
>I solved this by uninstalling the Processor from devicemanager. After this I could burn the processor without locking up, but intensive diskwork was a problem...As soon as I defrag, norton scan it locks..To solve this, I updated 845E chipset by uninstalling/reinstalling updated version of IAA, then tis stopped.
Only problem left after this was the "Paging fault to/from disk". I solved this by uninstalling the disk, deleting the Pagefile & prefetch files....Everything 100%.

I then had no problems till I installed SP2.....After that I noticed this problem creaping up only on boot......At moment PC is booted without the problem......

If I uninstall IAA, it's gone, but PC slower.
If I disable HT, it's gone, but P4 10c running hotter, don't like this.

I hope this is not a chipset ability boarder case, relating to speed.....
I don't want to reformat at this stage, maybe if I don't figure out the selution in 3 moths time......I solved all my problems so far without reformatting, just a case of digging & digging....

hkh said:
Do a reinstall of windows.
I'd have to agree...because of the ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) Uniprocessor Hardware Abstraction Layer that was originally installed by XP when you had the non-HT enabled CPU installed. You then installed a HT capable CPU, enabled HT in the BIOS...XP in turn tried to install the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL. The thing is...the drivers for the Uniprocessor HAL would've needed to be completely removed, then the drivers for the Multiprocessor HAL would've needed to be installed in their place.

The correct way to do this (without a fresh install) is to uninstall the ACPI Uniprocessor from Device Manager, shut down the system, install the new CPU, then immediately boot into the BIOS. You could then change the HT option from Disabled to Enabled, boot into Windows, and let XP detect and install the correct HAL for your CPU.

or dont install sp2 because it is gay and only adds processes to your task manager and also it includes a ghetto *** firewall and an annoying device that sais you need a virus scanner all the time. DONT get sp2 unless its absolutely necessary.

The correct way to do this (without a fresh install) is to uninstall the ACPI Uniprocessor from Device Manager, shut down the system, install the new CPU, then immediately boot into the BIOS. You could then change the HT option from Disabled to Enabled, boot into Windows, and let XP detect and install the correct HAL for your CPU.
I would like to do it this way, but device manager wont let me, the Uninstall option is not highlighted ??? :argue: :argue:

Open System Properties | "Hardware" tab | "Device Manager" button | Expand "Computer" | Double click the HAL that's installed, i.e. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC | "Driver" tab | "Update Driver" button | In the "Hardware Update Wizard", select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" | Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" | In the following dialog, select the correct HAL for your processor.

Just to make sure: I got to that screen:[Device Manager]

Hardware Installation Wizard
**1-APCI Mutiprocessor PC
2-Advanced Configuration and Power Interface[ACPI]PC
3-MPS Multiprocessor PC
4-Standard PC.
:mad:
Currently myne is **1-"ACPI Multiprocessor PC".......
I am reading this at the moment. It looks like the right choices were made on my PC ...?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309283
>>I think this is what happened after I installed the processor, but remember my 845E chipset was not updated, only the BIOS[F9], that could have ballsupped this auto process, thats why I had to uninstall the processor, enable HT and let windows install both again. After that I updated the chipset.

:argue:
On Windows XP and later, the ACPI Uniprocessor HAL and the MPS Uniprocessor HAL recognize the existence of more than one processor and report the MP ID. Plug and Play detects that the computer devnode's hardware ID list has changed and moves the devnode back through the "found new hardware" detection process. As a result, when you add a second processor the MP files (HAL and kernels) are automatically installed, and you do not have to manually update the driver in Device Manager.
:argue:
Do you want me to change this to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface[ACPI] PC ??

Last edited:
Back