• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Vcore voltage for 3.0e??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaydog

Hey guys, I have the system below. My max stable oc is [email protected].
However my ram runs at 5:4. 240*15 = 3.6 but my ram is only running 384mhz.

I really want to get my ram at least running at stock speeds.

My load temps, the most I've ever seen on asus probe is 44c after a couple hours of Priming.

Is it a good idea to raise the vcore any higher? I do need this comp for a while.

I am unsure if it is the voltage being to high that can kill a cpu or the temps involved in the voltage. If I can keep my temps low(I don't want to hit 50c, ever) can I keep increasing the vcore. What is the accepted max. I have read in another thread to keep it below 1.5v but I am unsure if that is just because of their temps.

[EDIT] I don't have the droop mod. The last thing I want to do is rip apart my comp)[/EDIT]

Thanks alot guys

I've read that 1.5 vcore is the max safe for prescott. You really do need the droop mod on asus boards. I've had to do it twice and it helps a lot. With the alternate solder points it's not hard to do.

Thanks spool, i may do it in a couple of months when im not in school and need it everyday

sp00L said:
I've read that 1.5 vcore is the max safe for prescott. You really do need the droop mod on asus boards. I've had to do it twice and it helps a lot. With the alternate solder points it's not hard to do.
sp00L -

By 'helps' are you talking something tangible, like stability, or a higher OC? Or just a 'better looking' (non-fluctuating) Vcore?

Note: My sig system is somewhat similar to yours, but un-modded.

Right now, I believe I'm limited by my 20A +12V rail, & my Zalman. YES, you read that right, I'm running my old system's Zalman w/o a case sidecover - Full load temps (24/7 Distributed Computing) = 50 - 52*C, read via AsusProbe.

Strat

Helps, as in a fluctuation that goes from 0.2 down to 0.02 which yields a higher stable oc. The voltage will still fluctuate but now going over 1.6 vcore will not droop nearly as much and you can take your chip higher. This helped my 3.2 northwood and I'm positive it's helping my 3.4 presshot. I think the droop mod is more valueable than the vdimm.

If the droop mod doesn't help, then you know your chip is at it's limit.

sp00L said:
Helps, as in a fluctuation that goes from 0.2 down to 0.02 which yields a higher stable oc. The voltage will still fluctuate but now going over 1.6 vcore will not droop nearly as much and you can take your chip higher. This helped my 3.2 northwood and I'm positive it's helping my 3.4 presshot. I think the droop mod is more valueable than the vdimm.

If the droop mod doesn't help, then you know your chip is at it's limit.
Thx for the quick reply. I usually run under load 24/7 (DC), so I've been compensating by running higher Vcores, and then they droop 100 - 150mV under load. Seems like once they droop, the Vcore is pretty stable, but it's a method of operating I really don't like. Plus, they then overshoot substantially when idle - THAT's pretty scary!

Thanks again.

Strat

Back