• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Under $50 mobo for 1.6a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 right now with an Intel mobo - the thing will not overclock no matter what I do... rather than throw this comp away when I get a new one, I would like to try OC it. To do that I believe I would need a new mobo... I have seen people get these 1.6 up to 2.8 so I'd like to try that.

What motherboard do you suggest for the 1.6 which good OC capabilities for under $50

Some of those Dells use non-standard power supplies too. Sometimes when the mobo is replaced you need to replace the power supply too. The 1.6A was a classic overclocker back in it's day, but I'd say around 2.4 gig is more of an average O/C.

Not many good mobos for less than $50. I'd spend a little more and get an Abit IS7-E2 or Albatron PX865PE Pro, so that you'll have dual channel RAM and lots of nice features. Most of the real cheap mobos will have SIS or VIA chipsets. I would stay with Intel chipsets for best results.

you could / should look in to software oc if all you need is a slight boost, try hitting cpucool.

CPUCooL

as for setting up the darn thing to actually do anything with your rig.. look under the "finding the PLL" link...

Best of luck, its not a great overclocking tool, but atleast you wont need to get anything new, for a modest overclock, IF its possible... (also, i'we seen fairly big oc's with the software...)
B!

Back