• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP SP2 and Java script Links

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

XP SP2 and IE links

I just installed win xp, sp2 and now when i click on a link that activates a java script in IE, the page comes up saying "page not found"
seems like its not just java links, i tried clicking on that number on the top right hand side of every post, and the page comes up with that error, if i select copy link and then paste it in manually it works fine.
Even the links that people post in their replies on this forum dont open up, unless i manually copy the link.

Last edited:
I have java installed, i just installed sp2, already had xp. And i tried java apps work.
And as i mentioned above, turns out its not just java links, links that people include in their posts on this website dont work either, unless i copy and paste the link.

Borisw37 said:
I have java installed, i just installed sp2, already had xp. And i tried java apps work.
And as i mentioned above, turns out its not just java links, links that people include in their posts on this website dont work either, unless i copy and paste the link.

Open Windows Explorer | View | Folder options | File types | Scroll down to...URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, and highlight it | "Advanced" button | Make sure "Open" is highlighted, and click the "Edit" button | Check to make sure the following is in the Application used to perform action box...

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

"DDE" should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
"Application" should say: IExplore
"DDE application not running" should be blank
"Topic" should be: WWW_OpenURL

If all the entries above look OK, then run the following commands from Start | Run (each command line listed below registers that particular *.dll). Run each line individually...after each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll (after running this command, check to see if the links work properly in IE...if so, there's no need to register the remaining *.dll's)

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll (only applicable to WinME/Win2000/XP - if using an earlier OS, run regsvr32 shdoc401.dll)
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

thank you for your response redduc900
i have performed the steps you mentioned all the values were correct and i registerd all the DLLs, but the problem is still there. It seems that whenver the link is "open in a new window" thats when it does not work, i can navigate trough oc forums w/out any problems, but if i click on the link in your signature the page does not open.

any ideas?

Back