• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIM Variant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

komm

After having 4 new un-deletable folders and quite a few more hijackthis additions, i've gotten tired of AIM. Is there some decent variant that allows me to use many of the same tools? I've used trillian and don't like it, and the same with older versions of DeadAIM. Is there another client that's any good?

if you run linux, you can use kopete or a similiar instant messaging client, but if you don't like trillian for windows (i don't either) or deadAIM, you're pretty much stuck with the standard AIM. as far as i know those are the only programs that can use the oscar protocol to access the AIM network. google it to see if you can find something else.

trillian or gaim, i prefer trillian because i can log on to more than one service ;)

stan03 said:
trillian or gaim, i prefer trillian because i can log on to more than one service ;)

huh?
I use GAIM, and can log on to AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo messenger, ALL at the same time!
I also use Trillian and can log on to ALL my IM accounts as well.

jajmon said:
huh?
I use GAIM, and can log on to AIM, MSN Messenger, and Yahoo messenger, ALL at the same time!
I also use Trillian and can log on to ALL my IM accounts as well.

really, i haven't used gaim in a while, i guess they updated it.

Can GAIM do ICQ?

I use Trillian personally, but you said you didn't like it, so that's ok. Try GAIM on for size, I've heard good things about it :)

Gaim is really neat, it has a lot of features aim and deadaim don't have. It's pretty ugly, though, unfortunately, but also ver customizable. I've heard of a couple dll complications, but I've never had an issue, and neither has my boyfriend, who uses gaim as well.

The only downside to any aim alternative (save deadaim) is file transfer and direct connecting... it just doesn't work. If you're keen on ftps, or don't mind just emailing attachments, it shouldn't be a problem.

indimint said:
Gaim is really neat, it has a lot of features aim and deadaim don't have. It's pretty ugly, though, unfortunately, but also ver customizable. I've heard of a couple dll complications, but I've never had an issue, and neither has my boyfriend, who uses gaim as well.

The only downside to any aim alternative (save deadaim) is file transfer and direct connecting... it just doesn't work. If you're keen on ftps, or don't mind just emailing attachments, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, direct-connecting is borked in GAIM, but file sharing seems to work fine. I've transferred many files without a problem... it's even quite a bit easier than in AIM.

GAIM over AIM any day, if you ask me...

I use GAIM on Linux as well - both on Linux boxes at Uni and on my Gentoo lappy at home.

It can use MSN, ICQ, IRC, AIM, Jabber, Yahoo etc all at once.

Gaim is a nice program. I can log into many of the IM services at the same time, and has tabbed IM windows for AIM which is a nice feature.

I have been using Aim for a long time untill now. I just installed Win32 Gaim and I love it, but I have a question. When I was using Aim I had to have a Hotmail E-mail account and now that I am using Gaim, can I change my E-mail account to use my Comcast E-mail account instead? I wish to avoid MS and use more Open source.

ahhh the last time i checked aim didn't require a hotmail account. the only reason you would need an email account for aim is so they have a place to send your username and password to when you sign up. The only thing that makes you use a hotmail account is msn messanger.

Back