• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonblingbling

I was having a big dilema this morning, ending up with a hard drive with a corupted windows XP.

Only problem now is that I cannot acces the documents and settings folder, with my user information (my documents, application data, etc) because my profile is password protected.

How can I get access to these files to back them up? Either (PLEASE) respond here, or IM on AIM at wanabedriver. THANKS!

neonblingbling said:
I was having a big dilema this morning, ending up with a hard drive with a corupted windows XP.

Only problem now is that I cannot acces the documents and settings folder, with my user information (my documents, application data, etc) because my profile is password protected.

How can I get access to these files to back them up? Either (PLEASE) respond here, or IM on AIM at wanabedriver. THANKS!

Can you plug it into another computer? If so, what happens? Does it prompt for a password? I have windows xp and I have transferred files over from one hard drive to another while it was plugged into another computer and I never was asked for a password. Keep us updated. Good luck!
:)

Matt

Well, its all better now. My I called up my friend, and he directed me to repair windows via boot cd.

I was able to access my hard drive when it was a slave, but I could not get the right acount, because it was part of the messed up OS.

Whether the version of XP installed is Home or Pro, it makes a difference afa the ability to access the My Documents folder. Regardless of the version of XP, you'll need to take ownership of the My Documents folder, and you must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative priveleges to do so. In XP Home, you have to boot to Safe Mode and logon as Administrator, or use the cacls.exe tool (located in C:\WINDOWS\system32) from an admin account in normal mode in order to make changes to the NTFS file permissions. To enter Safe Mode, hold down the F8 key just before Windows starts to load (just before your PC finishes POST'ing).

Only Pro allows you to disable the simple file sharing mode (My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab | Uncheck "Use simple file sharing") and access the security tab in normal mode of operation. Simple file sharing makes the My Documents folder private from everyone, including other Admins, so your files won't be visible to others who logon to the console. By default, XP Pro uses Simple File sharing when it's not joined to a domain.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Back