• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MB, old HD won't boot.. help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deerfern

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I want to copy/transfer my files, (particularly a program Links 2003) to my new HDD. I bought PC Relocator to do this.

However I can't boot the old hd due to blue screen, since the hardware changed the hdd doesn't like it. I tried install repair for WIN XP Pro but still no go.

I can access the drive but it won't boot. Any way anyone knows how to copy / transfer files without booting to WIN XP Pro?

I made my first computer a few years ago but used a very cheap motherboard. I recently bought an ASUS P4P800SE which is great. I replaced my old PC Chips motherboard with the Asus and left all remaining hardware the same.

Also, WIN XP Pro will not restart (even though when I click the restart button on the case it will) It will not restart even when installing. Is this a problem with Asus? I never had a problem with PC Chips.

Not knowing any better, I originally tried to boot the system with the old hard drive. Now, I get blue screen. I researched and everything said to do a repair install but I get black screen for a short while during start up, and at end when it uninstalls temp files, it just stops and hangs.

Details of this system:

2.0A Intel P4 with 512 cache
512 MB Mushkin DDR RAM 2700 - 333
ATI AGP Video Card 8500 Special Edition
250 GB SATA Maxtor HDD
HP 9100 CD/RW
Buslink DVD/RW (Lite-on)
Buslink USB 2.0 PCI 5 port Adapter Card
ADS USB 2.0 Drive Enclosure Kit (not currently attached)
Floppy

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Carol

Do you have a second computer that you can plug the hard drive into? If so, you can set the hard drive to slave (via jumper settings at the rear of the drive). Plug it in and boot up. Now you will be booted up on the master drive, while the slave can be used as a secondary. Good luck!
:)

Matt

Yes, the system boots right now, with the new HDD. I can access the old hard drive as a secondary (slave) drive, or I can access it with my USB enclosure kit. Either way, I can see all the files. The problem is, it will not boot. I tried a repair install, and it hangs.

Anyone with any help on the hdd boot or the restart problem, please help !

Thanks, Carol

deerfern said:
Yes, the system boots right now, with the new HDD. I can access the old hard drive as a secondary (slave) drive, or I can access it with my USB enclosure kit. Either way, I can see all the files. The problem is, it will not boot. I tried a repair install, and it hangs.

Anyone with any help on the hdd boot or the restart problem, please help !

Thanks, Carol

Help is on the way!

Ermmm...let's see. You are trying to install windows xp correct? Does the computer boot from the cd and start windows installation? If so, once you are within windows installation, you can choose to format the drive. This should correct all of your problems. You will lose all of the files stored on the drive, but since you saved them on the other computer, that won't be a problem, correct? We'll figure this out. No worries.

Matt

Matt,

Thank you so much for helping. I had given up, and thought I would check again to see if anyone replied !

I am going to copy all the files from hubby's system and then format his new drive. I will be able to access the copies via an external USB HDD kit.

I will make sure I copy all the hidden files, too.

Thanks and I will come back after it's done for more help.

Thank you once again,

Carol

deerfern said:
Matt,

Thank you so much for helping. I had given up, and thought I would check again to see if anyone replied !

I am going to copy all the files from hubby's system and then format his new drive. I will be able to access the copies via an external USB HDD kit.

I will make sure I copy all the hidden files, too.

Thanks and I will come back after it's done for more help.

Thank you once again,

Carol

No problem. Best of luck to you! Don't be a stranger around here.

Matt

Hi Matt or anyone else who can help !

Ok Wow ! That was (not!) fun. Right now I have Win XP installed on two HDD using the same computer via a ComBox. I can boot to WIN XP on either drive. One of the drives is my husbands who installed Links 2003.

Now. I can access and see all the files (even the hidden ones) on the old hard drive as a slave. Those files are there, I know it. I just don't know how to access them....er, I mean, transfer them.

Does anyone know where the registry keys are kept which hold all the information regarding the game? And what to do once I know that information?

Thanks for any help ! Thanks again !

Carol

okay, sorry to bump in but, i also a question.
i'm currently running an abit nf7s, and am going to switch to a dfi lanpartyb nf2
i have two 80gb hard drives with 4 partitions(2 per drive). C and D on the first hdd, and I and J on the second hdd. on the first hdd, C is my "windows" drive. Is it possible to just plug in the new board, and go or do i have to reformat? i'm thinking i'll have to reformat; so if i just ntfs the c partition and reinstall windows i'll be good right??
Thanks for all the help in advance!!

deerfern said:
Hi Matt or anyone else who can help !

Ok Wow ! That was (not!) fun. Right now I have Win XP installed on two HDD using the same computer via a ComBox. I can boot to WIN XP on either drive. One of the drives is my husbands who installed Links 2003.

Now. I can access and see all the files (even the hidden ones) on the old hard drive as a slave. Those files are there, I know it. I just don't know how to access them....er, I mean, transfer them.

Does anyone know where the registry keys are kept which hold all the information regarding the game? And what to do once I know that information?

Thanks for any help ! Thanks again !

Carol

oooooo, links, very fun game!

anyway, about your situation, it would be best to do a full install of the game. usually if you just copy and paste a game it doesn't work quite right. i would say just copy and paste your saved profiles/users and do a full install on your hard drive. if you can't do a full install for some reason, then i guess you will have to try the copy and paste method, not sure if it will work right though. as for the registry keys, they are all over the place, so that is the problem with copy and pasting.

KKAT said:
okay, sorry to bump in but, i also a question.
i'm currently running an abit nf7s, and am going to switch to a dfi lanpartyb nf2
i have two 80gb hard drives with 4 partitions(2 per drive). C and D on the first hdd, and I and J on the second hdd. on the first hdd, C is my "windows" drive. Is it possible to just plug in the new board, and go or do i have to reformat? i'm thinking i'll have to reformat; so if i just ntfs the c partition and reinstall windows i'll be good right??
Thanks for all the help in advance!!

you will have to do a new full install of XP. it is possible to try the repair option though, but it doesn't always work. either way that is all you have to do.

Back