• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory and AMD processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jallen

Registered
Hey guys.

I had a quick question about memory and AMD processors. I just built a new machine this week. I bought the Corsair PC3200 XMS low latency RAM and it was DOA. So I RMAed it and ordered some OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 Timings 2-2-2-5.

While I wait on the OCZ to come in I'm using some Crucial CL=3 PC3200. I have been doing benchmarks all weekend to test the system out. I should first say I converted from a P4 3.0C. On all of my tests the 3500+ got spanked by the P4. Aquamark, 3DMark03, 3DMark05. On all of them the 3500+ scores lower than my P4 in the CPU tests.

Now my question is. Since the memory controller is built onto the 3500+ could I assume that the high latency memory I am currently using is holding the processor back? When I plug this 2-2-2-5 OCZ RAM in should my CPU scores go up? Or should I look at thinking there is something wrong with the proc and RMA it?

jallen said:
Hey guys.

I had a quick question about memory and AMD processors. I just built a new machine this week. I bought the Corsair PC3200 XMS low latency RAM and it was DOA. So I RMAed it and ordered some OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2 Timings 2-2-2-5.

While I wait on the OCZ to come in I'm using some Crucial CL=3 PC3200. I have been doing benchmarks all weekend to test the system out. I should first say I converted from a P4 3.0C. On all of my tests the 3500+ got spanked by the P4. Aquamark, 3DMark03, 3DMark05. On all of them the 3500+ scores lower than my P4 in the CPU tests.

Now my question is. Since the memory controller is built onto the 3500+ could I assume that the high latency memory I am currently using is holding the processor back? When I plug this 2-2-2-5 OCZ RAM in should my CPU scores go up? Or should I look at thinking there is something wrong with the proc and RMA it?

Yeah the AMD64's need LL. I went from a P4 3.85Ghz to my FX-53 and I am spanking all my old benches. Also with the memory on the AMD64's they get way better performance when you run the memory at 1T command rate. I am running my OCZ EL PC3200 at 250 with 2.5-3-3-10-1T and I get about 7,500 in Sandra. I am at 95,000 in AQ3. I think I can get more out of the memory I just need to play with it more. To set the command rate to 1T you need to set the 2T command rate to disabled. GL...

Ok I am beginning to think the memory is holding the proc back. I can't run this memory in 1T mode. So that's one thing. Also I can't run the timings much lower than 3-3-3-8. So tonight I'll install the OCZ and see if the performance goes up.

BTW what are your processor scores on AQ3?

Back