• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OC'ing Gigabyte Board..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red Barron

Registered
I am looking at biulding a new P4 system with the 800 MHZ FSB. I like Gigabyte boards ....could u recommend the best overclocking board out there now.
Thanks.

I am building one for my friend and I liked the Gigabyte ones, its goingt o be a 775 one so whats the best for 775?

Before I sizzled my 8KNXP, it was really stable with my 3.0E. DPS on those seem to stabilize the vcore. I also heard they discontinued the board? Anyone with more info?

stupid PCclub. I did my version 1 board in trying to do a volt mod for the cpu, and it eventually did it in. Id love to throw my prescott on one again and water cool it this time and see what I achieve. I reached 3.6ghz on it before heat took over and wouldnt let it bench, and no voltage drop. sucks. If anyone has any leads to a revision 2.0 board please let me know!

With version 2.0 I dont think theres a need for volt mods is there? I had a 1.0, which limits vcore to 1.6v. I tried a volt mod to sucker it into more juice and in the end it cost me the board :(

You could try the one I'm using to ease into socket 775. It's a Gigabyte GA8I915P Duo-A, there's also a Pro version. It's socket 775, but supports regular AGP cards with the G.E.A.R slot in addition to PCI-e x16, and supports both regular DDR and DDR2. I've used in all combinations and it's been a solid board. I originally ran it with my 9800 Pro AGP and some BH-6 DDR, and am now running it with Corsair PC5400 DDR2 and an ATI X600XT PCI-e card. With this board you can use some old parts, and move to the new stuff later.

DaveB, MaximumPC gave this board really awful reviews in regards to the AGP performance. According to the article, the AGP bus is not native and crosses over the PCI bus giving you a paltry 133M/s.

I think this type of board is a fantastic idea, however, for those of us who are performance mongers and need to use the AGP slot, this board is not for you.

I can not imagine what would happen if you tried to use a 6800 on this board.

Well, I think they over reacted and didn't understand the purpose of the board. With my 9800 Pro, I scored 5500 in 3DMark03, while with the same speed P4 in a regular 865PE AGP mobo, it scored 6200. To be honest, the drop off wasn't noticeable at all during actual gaming. It's a way to move to a new platform at low cost with your existing AGP card and DDR. Anyone who has spent the cash for a 6800 isn't on a budget anyway and certainly wouldn't be moving to PCI-e anytime soon.

Back