• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remote desktop - need special client software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
okay, here is the deal. i use remote desktop to access my computers at home when i am away (usually at school) and i was curious if anybody knew of a remote desktop program (that works with the windows 2000/xp/2003 remote desktop) that does not need to be installed. i usually just get on the computers in the library at school and i do not have administrative access and they are all win2k machines that have no remote desktop client software installed. i know that microsoft has software available, but without admin access, i can't install it. i've also tried tsweb and that doesn't work either. any ideas?

Can you just copy the original executable and run it from a CD or Floppy? I just coppied the executable and it ran ok. Otherwise you could just use VNC. RealVNC has just an executable that doesnt have to be installed.

bchur83 said:
Can you just copy the original executable and run it from a CD or Floppy? I just coppied the executable and it ran ok. Otherwise you could just use VNC. RealVNC has just an executable that doesnt have to be installed.

didn't really think of that... i sort of figured it would make more than the execuutable to run, but it only takes 2 files apparently (i tried it in the virtual machine running win2k). thanks for the idea :) so simple yet i overlooked it

Last edited:
How hard is it to setup remote desktop through routers (on the client side) and a firewall ( on my side) ? I need something that I can connect to my sales reps from work. Some of them take ten minutes just to figure out where tools/internet options is. ;)

I have this set up on my router here at home. All you need to do for ultra (probably real as well) is to have the ultra vnc server running on the machine that you want them to connect to. You might have to open up a port. it depends on what router you are running

hkgonra said:
How hard is it to setup remote desktop through routers (on the client side) and a firewall ( on my side) ? I need something that I can connect to my sales reps from work. Some of them take ten minutes just to figure out where tools/internet options is. ;)

it is very simple actually. in their router, you just need to forward port 3389 to the box you want to connect to. if you want to change the port, check out this MSKB article:
How to change the listening port for Remote Desktop

if you do specify a different port, check out this article:
How to configure the Remote Desktop client to connect to a specific port when you use Windows XP

you shouldn't need to do anything with your firewall to connect to the remote desktop on your client's computer.

hope this helps you out.

*edit: i just re-read your post... with them having xp home on their machines, they will not be able to run remote desktop server software so you will not be able to connect to their computers. remote desktop only comes with xp pro. i would go with something like realvnc or an equivilant as suggested above. just do a google search for realvnc or ultravnc and their websites will have everything you need (including the ports that need to be forwarded) in their faqs. the vnc programs work under a similar principal as the remote desktop, but vnc doesn't require xp pro and those vnc programs are free to use*

hi guys.... hope u can help me.... i'm a newbie in networking....

i'm using netmeeting and pcanywhere to remotely access my computer at home.... both software failed..... i can't seem to connect to my computer at home....

my home desktop uses local ip 192.168.232.46 my internet connection is smart wifi...

how can i access my local ip address?....

i know all ip address local, public and DNS....

need help please............

home computer runs on win98se and remote pclaptop win2000....

hope to hear from u guys soon.....

First we need to know what router you are using. You first have to connect to your public ip address (the address that the router has on the internet). The internet cannot see the local IP of your PC because the router hides it. To find your public IP address you can go to
www.dslreports.com/ip
this will echo back your public ip address.

once you have your public ip address you need to tell your router that you want to let whatever program you want to use through your router and to your PC.

Post up your router type and model number and lets see what we can do

nahmus said:
First we need to know what router you are using. You first have to connect to your public ip address (the address that the router has on the internet). The internet cannot see the local IP of your PC because the router hides it. To find your public IP address you can go to
www.dslreports.com/ip
this will echo back your public ip address.

once you have your public ip address you need to tell your router that you want to let whatever program you want to use through your router and to your PC.

Post up your router type and model number and lets see what we can do

first of all, i would like to thank u for ur time and effort...... :)

i dont have a router.... rj-45 is connected straight to my desktop.... and an antenna place on top of my roof.....

i just got my ISP installed this Dec 24, 2005
below in the info of my ISP:

Introducing Smart WiFi. The revolutionary high-speed broadband
internet service of Smart, the leader in wireless innovation. Smart WiFi brings broadband internet into your home by using the nationwide cellular network of Smart to wirelessly connect your computer to theInternet! So now you can surf the Net at broadband speed even if you’re beyond the reach of a phone line.

The service works by simply installing a Smart WiFi antenna at your home which is directed to the nearest Smart cellsite to give you the strongest connection signal possible. And once the antenna is cabled to your home computer, you’re instantly connected and ready to chat, e-mail & surf up to 2x faster than the speed of dial-up!

i used my ipconfig to get my ip address (192.168.232.46) i know that this is just a local ip add and then i use google to get my public ip add which is 203.87.(something).(something)

i tried both ip address, and it still not working, i still cant connect..... :(

i asked my relative in the states to try to connect to me via netmeeting and video chat, but still wouldnt connect..... it ends up i'm the one connecting to my relative in the states.....

what can i possibly do to resolve this?.......

my aim is for me and my relatives to remotely access my desktop..... and also do video chat....

hope to hear from u soon..... :)

hmmm I've never tried doing remote desktop through that kind of connection. Your ISP might have those ports blocked. Do they have a Tech support number that you can call? You might just have to ask them to open it up.

One thing you can try is gotomypc.com

Its a service with a monthly fee but they set up everything for you and I think its all managed through port 80 (which is always open) and its secure. I'm pretty sure that you get a free 30day trial just ot make sure it works for you.

Video confrencing takes alot of bandwith. That might be a reason that you cannot get net meeting to run, your provider might have it blocked to preserve bandwith. I don't think i ever got netmeeting to run under 98.

give gotomypc a shot just to see if it does work.

i called the tech support.... they've told me that no ports are blocked, and my connection is like in the office network setup..... i can connect to other computers who has static ip add or public ip add....

i'm a bit confuse on how my internet connection works with smartwifi now..... but from what i see, its like with my mom's setup in her office, all computers are connected to a server or router or hub, which my mom is not sure of.... when i use to use dial-up connection before, i cant connect to my mom coz her ip address in her office is 192.168.(something).(something), its within their local area network, so what i did, i gave my ip add to my mom for her to connect to me instead.... we were able to use netmeeting to video chat.....

and now with my new ISP, its like with my mom's network setup in the office..... now, me and my mom cant connect each other, our alternative is yahoo messanger.... :(

with my new ISP, i'm able to download fast, video conference to my friends is like in real mode via netmeeting, compared to my previous dial-up ISP which charges by the minute, but the down fall is i have to be the one to connect to my friends, and i cant make my pcanywhere work.... :(

do u think theres a way of resolving this problem?..... without going thru logmein or gotomypc.....

again, i thank u for ur time and effort, hope to hear from u soon..... :)

I've use Ultra VNC to connect ot clients remotely. Its a free program that you can download. It has a server and viewer. You could try downloading it and installing it on your PC. install server on your PC and give it a password. Have your mom download the same program and have her install viewer. when she starts the viewer it will ask for an IP to connect to. Have her try your 208 ip address to see if it connects. If you have a firewall you should disable it for this test.

Heres the link for downloading
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ultravnc/UltraVnc-101-Setup.zip?download

thanks guys for ur time and effort.....

i'll give VNC a try..... thanks.... :)

btw..... i callled my ISP techsupport again...... i asked them how my internet setup is done.....

they said, from my computer, the desktop is connected to the antenna, and then the antenna connnects or transmit signals to the cellphone site (cellsite), which is the base station, and then connects to the access point( or access server or access router, anyways, the tech guy said access something) and then out to the internet....

they said, all ISP subscribers, their desktop connects to the base station which is the network, thats the reason why i could see the computers of other subscribers, they said i can only see the subscribers computer who are connected to the same base station only..... and to be connected to that base station closes to my house, from my antenna they assign the MAC address to where the antenna will only communicate....

does this mean that the antenna acts like a router, or what?..... whats the MAC address?.... i mean, what is MAC?.... i'm irratated with my ISP, i asked them whats my public IP address, and they said they can't say because its confidencial... i told them, that as a subscriber, i have the right to know the public IP address....... after argueing with them for a long time, they still didn't give me the public IP address.... :( and now, i'm thinking not to continue my subscription anymore, if i'm not getting moneys worth..... but before i do anything, do u think, if ever they give me the public ip address would i still be able to connect to my desktop computer via pcanywhere and netmeeting considering my internet setup?......

again, thank u all...... :)

hope to hear from u guys soon..... :)

Back