• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I just ruin my PC3700 EB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all,

I am currently trying to solve my buddy's problem with his computer (it fails memtest86 with two memory modules, but they individually pass-- Mushkin blue 1gig and 8kdarJ), so I tried my memory modules in his motherboard (as the epox tech support reccomended me to do).

Well, when I powered up his pc with my mempry, the diagnostics LED gave a code that represented error in the memory. So I panick... I put them back in my rig, and it posts fine, then it just reboots and asks me if I want to boot into safe mode. It does this a few times, then I power down and make sure they are sitting in there right, and they are.

Then, I reboot once more and still does the same garbage one more time, then it finally boots into windows.... what was this all about? Any chance my EB's got damaged??

Yes, if the epox shorted and ran high volts through your ram, they could easily have been fried. I remember when OCZ was developing the booster, they messed one up that accidently put the full 5v into a stick of eb, toasted that stick.

cetoole said:
Yes, if the epox shorted and ran high volts through your ram, they could easily have been fried. I remember when OCZ was developing the booster, they messed one up that accidently put the full 5v into a stick of eb, toasted that stick.

But it is now working... at least it appears to be working in my DFI rig. I am worried about the hissy fit that it threw when I put them back in.

EDIT: I dont have a floppy drive to do memtest86, but I guess I can run Super PI 32M to see if they still run :confused:

dreIU said:
EDIT: I dont have a floppy drive to do memtest86, but I guess I can run Super PI 32M to see if they still run :confused:

Theres an iso you can get of memtest that will make a bootable cd you can run it with

If you need it, the steps to burn Memtest to a bootable CD are detailed below.

The steps I took are as follows:

1) Downloaded .ISO version
2) Unzip/expand zipped file to a temp folder that you can easily locate
3) Open up Nero (Express in my case)
4) Select the option to burn a "Disc image or saved project"
5) Locate your .ISO file and select it, it will then show this file as the Source
6) Select your burn speed and # of copies and Burn, Baby, Burn

This worked for me without a hitch. For those not familiar with using the CD version, be sure to change the Boot order in BIOS to boot first from CD.

The link below is to a site which shows how to burn ISO images, in general.

Thanks for the info guys... it just ran the spuer PI 32M in like 32-31 minutes. Is there anything I should worry about as far as those boot issues I had with regards to the memory?

Back