• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Deluxe blank screen at cold boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alpha99

Registered
Hi,

Although it is not overclocking related thing I think this forum have enough experience about P4C800-class motherboards to answer my question :cool:.

My spec is the following:
Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (rev 2.0), 1008beta4
Enermax Noisetaker PSU 420W
PNY Verto Geforce FX 5700 Ultra
4x256 MB V-DATA CAS3 (VDD8608A8A-5C)
Seagate 7002.7 160GB (8MB cache) PATA​

So I bought the motherboard this summer and I had to realize that my PC does not produce video signal at cold boot (I do not see anything on my monitor). No beeps. Pressing reset button or next cold boot can help and the BIOS is starting in the usual way. On the other hand the PC is quite stable and I use it without overclocking. I tried different BIOS versions without success.
To reproduce the problem you have to wait some hours.

My first impression was that the video card has a problem, but it is working perfectly in any other mobo (it requires additional power cable, but the Enermax PSU gives a dedicated one).

After that I found some discussions on different forums about (almost) same issue. See here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=13284

Actually I think the problem is the motherboard but I do not see any option in the BIOS which could change this behavior. I tried to increase the AGP voltage but it did not help.

Any idea? Have you ever heard about the same issue?

Thanks,
alpha99

Welcome to Forums,

You might try rma'ing the mobo if you still can. The Rev2 I had before died because of this issue. Dont settle for it, coz for most 1st gen rev2 boards were plague with this issues. I have a new one and it works fairly different as the old one did....

GL
Vflux

Thanks. Good to know that others experienced the same issue. I'll rma soon.

alpha99

Vflux. How can I identify a new (stable) release of this mobo? Revision number, outlook?

Thanks,
alpha99

alpha99 said:
Vflux. How can I identify a new (stable) release of this mobo? Revision number, outlook?

Thanks,
alpha99

If you look around the fets around the cpu socket you should see 3 on the left corner, 3 ontop and 4 more to the right corner. When the mobo rev is printed on the pcb rev2 then that is the latest one....This solves the cold issues people were getting and the sudden death of these mobo. The box on this mobo has the Windvd Platinum bundled in it......

There's also a rev2 that's missing fets and this is the one you need to rma if you have it. It only has 2 left corner/2 top/3 right corner.........This board will only last you a couple of months before it decides to kill itself, that's why i advice you to rma it as soon as you can and probably asus will send you the latest one.........the first rev2 only has the Windvd suite..NOT Platinum.....avoid this one....

Vflux

Is everything hooked up firmly and have you testing the motherboard outside of the case!

Cound be a video card problem.

Edit -> PNY vido card, LOL.

Last edited:
Vflux. Errr....after a short checking I had to face my mobo is from the new series (with the mentioned mosfet arrangement and WinDVD Platinium bundle). So I'm pretty puzzled about that. Maybe the video card should be changed at last? Dunno :eh?:.

I've just got the rev2 board with the 3 mosfetts top left, top and top right and was bundled with windvd suite platinum. I too have the cold boot issues with my 6800nu and 9600np but not with a geforce 256 sdr and 9800pro.

any clues how to fix this?

cheers

bt

Bobtod said:
I've just got the rev2 board with the 3 mosfetts top left, top and top right and was bundled with windvd suite platinum. I too have the cold boot issues with my 6800nu and 9600np but not with a geforce 256 sdr and 9800pro.

any clues how to fix this?

cheers

bt

Is your BIOS up to date.

Try re-flashing bios......set to default before flash. I just experience earlier with my 2.6C. I had a blank screen while i was tryin to clock it with the most aggressive ram timings both performance mode enable, The computer boots but there's no screen. Dont quite remember what i did.

Update to the latest bios...............

Yeah, I'm running 1018.003 the latest official one. did the same with 1015. The funny thing is, my p4p800 would not start with the 6800 or 9600 either but was ok with other types of cards just like this p4c800-e, the cold boot problem is ONLY when the 6800 or 9600 are installed, it boots fine with other cards displaying a VGA signal every time :confused:

bt

Bobtod said:
Yeah, I'm running 1018.003 the latest official one. did the same with 1015. The funny thing is, my p4p800 would not start with the 6800 or 9600 either but was ok with other types of cards just like this p4c800-e, the cold boot problem is ONLY when the 6800 or 9600 are installed, it boots fine with other cards displaying a VGA signal every time :confused:

bt

Try rivatuner and run the gfx at 4x and disable fastwrites.....iirc p4p mb had problems with 9600 pro.......

Hi,

It seems my problem has been solved. I sent back my PNY video card to the shop (who sent back to PNY) and I finally got a new one (frankly speaking PNY sent me an Nvidia reference card, hm...strange, but it is working).
The point is that my PC is coming up without problems. Needless to say I'm quite happy (after a half-year misery) :clap:.

Thanks for everyone, keep up the info sharing... :)

alpha99

Back