• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

we're going ballistix mav.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The people that do well with these are mostly using them with either A64 or Intel P4 rigs.

What other ram have you used and how high were you able to clock? I ask because you're running 230 at 2.5-2-2-11 which is not too shabby. Do you know if your board will even clock higher than that? It could be the mobo and not the ram. My NF7 maxes right around 240 and before I switched to tictac's D26 Manta Rays XT BIOS, 229 or so was my max at 2-2-2-11 with 2x256 bh-5.

Also, have you relaxed those timings any or are you thinking that you should be doing better than 230 at 2.5-2-2-11?

i was wondering if the ram was "meant" for the a64 & p4 crowd.

i just rec'd a replacement xpm 2400 35w after the last one died unexpectedly. it never ran right, so when it died, it wasn't a surprise....i tried oc'ing it, but never let it go over 52---and it only got that high once.

with that chip i was using Ultra ram 1 x 512 pc3200. i didn't bench it with my new chip however. the dead 2400 & the ultra topped out @ 10 x 210.

i've tried these bios:
d10 mantarays
d26 l12 mantarays
d23 by tictac
d25 rev 3d by merlin
merlin taipan
d26 manta rays xt

my board doesn't seem to really prerer or not prefer any/all of these bios. i like the d26 manta rays xt 'cause of the layout.

i was hoping to do better than 230 & no i don't know if the board will clock higher. the board is picky cause the ram needs to be at 11....i haven't tried going to a 2-2-2-11 yet.

thx!

Yeah, the Manta Rays XT splash screen does look pretty good. I don't know if I have my story straight, but I think that maybe HousERat had something to do with it. I'll have to ask him, but I think that I saw that over at Sen's BIOS thread.

thx for the link.......everyone w/a post using ballistix were on a64's.

however, it looks al though my mobo won't allow me to go over 230 as i'm failing prime @ 10 x 235 vdd 1.7, 1.6 & 1.5

cuda70383 said:
thx for the link.......everyone w/a post using ballistix were on a64's.

however, it looks al though my mobo won't allow me to go over 230 as i'm failing prime @ 10 x 235 vdd 1.7, 1.6 & 1.5

Do you have the L12 hardware (wire) or software (BIOS) mod?

How about additional cooling (mosfets, NB, SB, etc.), that is supposed to help. I'm working on that stuff, but still have a ways to go.

But remember, it wasn't that long ago that 230 on an XP rig was pretty good.

i have the wire & bios w/L12

no additional cooling & my hsf is better than stock, but not topnotch

you advised me (your link) to tighten my timings after failing prime @235, so i set them at:
2-2-2-6 last night and after 8 hrs it only had 1 error.

Last edited:
One is one, though.

You have to decide for yourself, but it still leaves open the possibility of more to come.

rm:
i agree that 1 error was too many, but after jumping from 230 to 235 w/a lot tighter ram timings & only 1 error i was thinking that i probably could get 232-234 w/out any errors and have tighter timings. :burn:

on my ballistix on my a64 rig it does 2.5 2 2 5 at 235 1t, thats two 512's. I would fair to guess if you loosend cas to 2.5 those errors would go away with a minimul performance loss

ram - i'll give it a go when i start tweaking the ram again.

cat - from what i know.......it depends. my old chip that died, the bios L12 mod didn't seem to do too much. with my new chip, i did the wire mod upon installation & i'm stable @ 230....don't know what it would do without. by looking at the sticky on the frontpage of this forum, it seems like most people do get an extra 5-20 fsb. only way to tell is to try.

good luck

Catalan said:
If you just use a bios with the L12 mod encoded in do you have to do the physical L12 mod?

I had already done the physical wire L12 before I began using a modded BIOS with the coded L12 so I don't know for sure, but my understanding is that you don't. I have another NF7 board that I'm going to put together soon and I'll try the modded BIOS first without the actual wire mod to see what it does and will let you know.

By the way, I thought you trashed your NF7? Did you pick up or are you planning on picking up another? They were on sale last week at the egg for $68, after a rebate. The rebate is gone, but they may still be on sale.

I did trash my board, but I purcahsed another one off of newegg for $79. Damn modded NF7-S modded bios section made me want to compete...

Back