• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Frequency in BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mborkows

Registered
On my ASUS p4p800SE board, the only Ram Frequency settings are as follows:

Or something close to this. I would assume that this is the achieved frequency (FSB X 2) and not actual frequency, is this correct???
Otherwise even 266mhz on my PDP 3200 mould most likely be too high.

these ratio don't effect Fsb, they are memory ratios, your memory Pc3200 is rated 400 mhz so if you set it to 400 it will operate at 400mhz and your fsb will be 200, if you set memory to 333 it will operate at 333 mhz and your fsb will be still 200

Sorry for the mixup,

what I meant was do these settings include the 2X Dual channel multiplier effect? (Ex. 200mhz RAM running @ 400mhz) Since I can't set the Ram Divider Ratios on my board (crappy, I know) I would like to keep my memory running at lower than FSB. So my question is really concerning weather or not setting my RAM frequency on my board @ 400mhz will make the RAM have an effective rate of 800mhz (and of course crash).

Any help?

I'm so stupid!
I fiugred it out.
The 400mhz is the setting for 1:1, so setting it that means it will match my FSB. I can set it at 320mhz for 5:4 and 266 for 3:2. I can even set it at 500mhz for 4:5, but I've never heard of anybody doing that :beer:

Sorry again for being a newb :p

Well, I was working on that answer as well. I've got a lot to learn.
Keep in mind that the amout of difference above one of the preset values is also calculated into the DIMM frequency.
To check mine I set the memory to the 266/133 value and restarted.
In my case I am running at 207 or 828 cpu frequency, whichever number you prefer.
When I look at the memory frequency in CPUz, it shows 138MHz. That looked odd at first but when you consider that 207 is 3.5% over 200 then 133 * 3.5% is 138.
My memory seems to like running at the 1:1 ratio, in sync with the cpu, so I leave it set on auto.
:)

I think the auto setting will set a divider and won't run 1:1 if you overclock. You can verify this at boot up since it will show the freq. of you memory at startup. If you manually set the dram freq at 400 mhz and then overclock at say 10% you might get a system failure if you don't up your voltage to the vdimm. This is the problem I am running into at the moment.

With my board, it will stay at 1:1 on auto until I get past the 215 FSB. Once I get closer to 220, it will usually drop to 3:2 if on auto. If I try to keep it on 1:1, it usually gives me the "overclock failed" error on bootup. However; with only stock cooling right now I'm keeping the fsb at 215 anyway, so everything should be ok.

Back