• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about RAID 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I have a quick question....

Will I benefit from having a SATA RAID 0 using two 120 GB hard drives running windows and programs, in addition to an IDE 133 120 GB for additional storage. Or would I benefit more using the IDE 133 to run windows and programs and then using the RAID 0 for storage.

dja2k

How about if I save a lot of ISO Images for later burning, wouldn't that be better to have the RAID as storage for faster reading when burning. Also I use photoshop and it saves big files, that can take up a lot of time when reading, don't you think that is better for RAID 0 Storage. Also video saved on the RAID tends to play smoother. I don't need the windows OS to run fast, what I need is faster access to files when writing and reading them.

Now with those situations, do you still think raid as OS dedicated, and IDE as storage?

Writing to removeable disc will be slowed by the speed of the burner, not limited by any HDD.

If your only worried about encoding and reading data, then running the raid as non-primary may be best for you.

is it not possible to have that third as a mirror drive ?? and just have it all on raid... wouldnt it be something like raid 0+1 ..cant remember off the trop of my head but i would go that route.. just partition space for your windows install , programs, and storage...
what is your system now ?? it may too help to upgrade something...

...... 240gb on a raid 0 thats huge .....

Back