• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston HyperX 3200 need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DooLocsta

I just recently got 2 stix of Kingston HyperX 3200 and when I install it into my system it just goes nuts. :bang head I don't know if I need to change anything in the bios or reset it or what.

System Specs
A64 3200+ NC (Stock)
K8V SE Deluxe
Kingston HyperX 3200 (2x256)
Sapphire 9800 Pro (Stock) <--While installing new ram

When I install the memory it will sometimes get to the Windows XP log on screen but you can't do anything at that point the mouse will still move but it is like the computer is locked it won't go any farther. The ram that was in this machine working fine was and don't laugh, 1 stick 256 Crucial 2700 Value ram, and 1 stick OCZ 2700 Performance(Value) ram. I can't understand why it will run fine with this crap ram and won't even boot with the other. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am at work now so I am gonna put this in my work computer just to make sure it isn't a problem with the ram. Is the K8V SE Deluxe so picky that it isn't going to work with this ram.

Thanks
DooLocsta

edit: I put this in my computer at work which is a crappy eMachine with a Celeron 2.5Ghz and it boots just fine, so I know that this memory works.

Last edited:
Clear CMOS before starting your rig, to get rid of all those prior settings, then try. It will boot using the SPD settings. If not, then it probably won't work with your board.

As well as clearing the CMOS you might want to try a single stick in slot 1 to start. If everything fires up okay with the board detecting the timings, refer to the manual for placement/position of the 2nd stick.

Thanks, I will try these options when I get home. I did try to get it to work with just one stick in slot one and that is how it made it to the windows screen but with two sticks in it just restarts itself over and over or just locks up with the HD light on with no picture. Who knows I just want to get this to work so I can try a bit of o/c on the 3200

I appreciate you looking that up for my ryanmartini, but the problem just got a little more fishey. I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a problem with the memory chip itself and solved that issue with putting it in another computer and it works fine. I went to the ASUS website and also looked in my bood at the Qualified memory for that board in the book it says:

256M Kingston with single side chips of W942508BH-5 are qualified.

I removed the heat spreaders and that is the exact chip on this ram so I am at outs and very confused. Here I am thinking I got a great deal on some BH-5 memory but it won't work on my board. I am going to try and flash the bios to the newest and hopefully it will work. If not I am going to have some BH-5 going cheap. Thanks for the help guys.

Ok I updated my BIOS and that did not help still locks up at the booting screen. Here is the really strange thing, I decided to give up for a while so I put my other memory back in that has been working for over 3 months no problem and it won't get to Windows anymore either. It just locks up in the same place as it did the first time I put the Hyperx in. Has anyone heard of these problems or had these problems before. I don't understand why my old memory does not work now. ryanmartini I read that post but it didn't really say that formatting and starting from scratch would fix the problem but I can try if it may help I have plenty of hdds laying around here. I just want to get it working somehow.

Do you have the same board or similar ram. I am going to put together my XP system with the NF7V2.0 and see if it will run it if not I am going to get rid of it. Here is the real question though how the hell do you screw up windows xp by putting different ram in I have just formatted my computer with a different hd with my old ram and it is working fine, but that other hd will not booth with either so now I guess I get to formati it also. :) Well even though it is BH-5 ram(verified by taking off the heat spreaders) it does not like my system. Maybe it will work in my other one who knows.

i figured out how to stabilize mine. since i was not running dual channel i turned the fsb down to 100 and it completely stabilized the memory. when i get dual channel fsb here i come! =) i am using an abit IS7-E with a celeron D, this cpu does not deserve the shame of that name as it is pretty damn good. try messing with your fsb settings to help stabilize if u get those problems.

also are you running them in dual channel ? or can it not be done with these sticks ?

I have an A64 on a board that does not support dual channel so I don't think there is much relevance there. I was wanting another mobo anyway I have never liked this POS K8V SE Deluxe anyway now I just have to figure out whether to go with the Chaintech or the DFI 250GB. I have faith in this ram so I am gonna hold on to it for a while.

If the memory was not tested prior to going into Windows, it would be possible to write bad data and corrupt the hard drive and for it to not be able to get into Windows. Even switching back to the original ram would not help because the drive was still corrupted. Only a reformat and re-install would solve the problem.

Thanks I ended up having to format and use my old ram so at least it still works. Unfortunatly I tried to install window with the new ram on a different hard drive and it craps out half way through the install :(. I wish that I had an extra 64 board laying around to test this ram in something different I refuse to believe that the ram is bad.

I have found Kingston support line to be very helpful. (I'm no fan of most support lines but my experience with theses folks has been outstanding) Sorry, I don't have the number but it's toll free and listed at their website. And you're right it's probably not the RAM, as it usually turns out to be another problem. My guess is it's the timings. Good Luck.

Back