• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 Dlx + 6800 won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobtod

Hi guys, I've just bought a 6800 to replace my dead 9800p and it won't boot.

The damn card works in the spare AMD rig but won't work in my p4p800 just like the 9600np I've got.

My mobo has been tested with: 9800pro, 9200se, GeForce 256 SDR, 2x GeForce 2mx's, GeForce 5600XT and GeForce 4200 and all work ok. AGP slot looks clean and ok.

Anybody got any ideas what's causing this?

bt

Call Asus and ask for an explination. My guess is that the mobo is shot. Is fastwrites on?
the 9600np I've got.
Could also be a BIOS issue. I know my sis's KT600 just got a BIOS update for that very reason....ironically it was for the 9600 specifically

The boards over a year old and has been fully moded so def no RMA for me. I thought fastwrites was enabled in software? The bios is 10.17 which is pretty new, I will try 10.18 or 10.19b and see if that helps otherwise it looks like a new P4C800-E for me.

Thing is I bought this 6800 to tie me over for a bit before I switch to PCI-E as I have just got a great 3.2E chip and a gig of OCZ4200EL that won't fit in a decent PCI-E board :(

PCI-E means new CPU, VGA, DDR, Mobo, Vapo mounting kit etc, the thing is in the last 2 months I will have bought: CPU, VGA, Mobo and DDR already. It's all about timing and I got it all wrong this time :(

Oh well, on with another upgrade I suppose!

bt

Tried flashing to 10.18 bios but still no joy. Tested the card in another rig i've just built with another P4P800dlx Rev2 - bios 10.10 (my board is Rev1) and all is working fine. Just ordered a P4C800-E dlx, should be here for the weekend.

On a side note my cheap 6800 non ultra I bought to tie me over till I get the x800XT PE has softmodded great. I now have x16 pipes and x6 vertex units running at Ultra GPU speeds :D 414/900mhz So all is not that bad afterall, it's just been an expensive month.

bt

I had a different problem with my 6800 GT and asus p4c800-e. Got to the point restarting so many times, just to get the ide drives to be found that the 6800 broke. I got new 6800 coming in the mail hopefully it does not break as well.

Hmm, interesting point there. The test rig I was using last night was doing this, every time I rebooted it would 'loose' the cdrom and hard disk and fail to find a boot drive. Turning off then on again would sort this out.

The rig was a P4P800 dlx, 3.0C 4x256mb OCZ3200, Ata-100 HD and of course the 6800. All running @ stock speeds.

Do you think there is a pattern with Asus boards and 6800's?

bt

Just installed my new P4C800-E Dlx and still no go with the 6800 or 9600 :( Other cards work fine though just as before.

Man this is f***ing me off big style, I've tried diff mem, psu, cpu, hd and mobo. I have one last thing to try before I start smashing things up.

I will try and run the mobo out of the vapochill case to see if its a bad fit with the AGP slot due to the vapo mobo tray? this is a real pain to do cause of how the evap head is fitted but it's my last chance to salvage anything before I move in with a big b***ard hammer! :bang head

bt

Managed a bit of a work around on this, if you turn it on, no signal, hit reset, then it works!

Now works with all cards, need to find a resolve on this still, as this is not an ideal solution.

Oh well, I now have a spare p4p800dlx. Further googling has revealed that this is not unusual for some asus boards esp the p4c800-e dlx.

bt

I have same mobo and just got Gainward 6800GT and mine works fine-did you guys put
power connector or have enough PSU watt to handle the card-I got a 450psu P-4 3.0
ghz-corsair xms pc-400 ram 1-GIG- also is it properly seated.

TufenHuden said:
I have same mobo and just got Gainward 6800GT and mine works fine-did you guys put
power connector or have enough PSU watt to handle the card-I got a 450psu P-4 3.0
ghz-corsair xms pc-400 ram 1-GIG- also is it properly seated.

I have the OCZ Powerstream 520w that has 2 dedicated vga molex connectors so the PSU is not a problem. The card IS in properly, I have tried with the board out of the case as well just to be certain it is in fully. The AGP slot looks fine, it seems there are some issues with a few asus boards that give the same problem. It just seems to be random boards that give problems and 2 out of the 3 asus boards I have give the same start-up issuses.

The board is gona get RMA'd anyhow as the on-board NIC is not working fully. Weird stuff is generally happening with this board like not being able to connect to any other PCs on the network. My router picks it up and gives out an IP address and other PC can see it but nobody can connect. I've tried fixed IPs, several dif drivers, winxp reloads and still the same probs, on each winxp install I give the pc different names and it would appear on the network but still would not connect to anything.

I put in a spare 100mb NIC and everything works fine everytime :confused: Also whenever the on-board NIC is enabled in the bios the network performance is terrible with the 100mb NIC, but when disabled everything is back to normal.

bt

Back