• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading proc/new bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bacchana1

I'm planning on replacing my 1800+ paly with a 2600+ tbred (note my board only supports 266 fsb, no agp/pci lock). My system specs are listed below in my sig. Basically I want to make this setup last for another year or so. I'm not talking about hardcore gaming here...just getting by.

My question is, would it be worthwhile to spend $80 or so on another 512MB of DDR2700. I'm not sure if the bottleneck in my system (for games like farcry) would be the cpu, gpu or the ram. If I have a gig of 2700 will my cpu and gpu be fast enough for me to see the advantages of the extra ram?

Now I know I could get another board and get a better system, but I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash here. I'm kind of planning on doing a complete system build sometime probably in the next year or so.

Your video card is most likely whats bringing you down in games especially like Farcry. Secondly, it would be your current CPU, but your 2600 should eliminate that bottleneck.

Yeah, my cpu has pretty much lived its life. I'm pretty anxious to replace that vid card too (dx8 and only 128 megs of ram :rolleyes: ), but I'll wait until I switch my platform over and go PCIe. For now though, I'm going to give current technology (939) a little time to mature and drop in price a bit. I'm hoping that Abit and Asus will have nforce4 (or whatever they end up calling it) boards about the time I'm ready for my next major upgrade.

I suppose I'll just see what kind of gains the cpu gives me and and stick with my 512 for now. I'll probably so happy with getting rid of my paly I won't even notice the ram...for about a week... :p

Back