• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott on BL7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ty Bower

Registered
Has anyone been brave (foolish) enough to try putting a Prescott cored Celeron D on an Abit BL7?

For those who don't recall, the BL7 is an older Socket 478 board. It's i845 based, and takes SDRAM (not DDR). It's only rated for 400 MHz FSB, but I've run mine at 533 for years with a 1.6a.

A Celeron D might be a nice upgrade to stuff a little extra life into this aging board.

That Northy at ~2.4Ghz will beat a celeron.
If you still wanna upgrade, I would suggest an Abit IS7, along with 2 DDR memories.
You'll feel a noticable diffrence.

You can't get a 1.6a much higher than 2.1 on the BL7. Anything faster than 133 FSB, and the memory starts to "disappear". You don't get errors in Prime95 or Memtest; the RAM simply isn't detected during post. You can push it as as high as maybe 150, but it won't find more than two rows - good for maybe 256 MB.

I've already got an AI7 board, and I like it just fine. I'm just trying to find something interesting to do with my old board. I guess it's off to eBay...

Back